What's new

Poll - Do you plan on purchasing HyperShot for rendering?

Do you plan on purchasing HyperShot?

• Yes, shortly

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Yes, in a bit

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Probably not

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 15 29.4%

• Total voters

mkent

- PhotoRender discontinued.

- HyperShot (Web version) included with Pro & Expert.

- Deal done with Mark at HDR LightStudio to include the Basic version of that with Expert.

YES

rollin45

I actually just did buy Hypershot and am quite happy with it. I'm hoping for enhancements in both Alibre and Hypershot and I believe new versions of both are knocking at the door.

rollin'

jhiker

Alibre Super User
rollin45 said:
I actually just did buy Hypershot and am quite happy with it. I'm hoping for enhancements in both Alibre and Hypershot and I believe new versions of both are knocking at the door.

rollin'

Does the purchase price cover upgrades?
is there any charge for maintainence?

rollin45

Jeff,

The way I understand it, as long as the upgrades are the same numeral, for instance, 1.1,,,, 1.2 ,,,1.3 ... then there is no charge, I suspect when version 2 rolls around there will be an "upgrade" cost. I have no idea what that will be, but ordinarily when upgrading to the next version it seems the costs are generally pretty reasonable.

As to the maintainence ... I haven't read anything anywhere indicating there is such a cost associated with the software, that doesn't mean it isn't there, but I haven't seen any indication of a fee.

As you can tell, I don't know anything concrete as far as your questions, but I would think someone who does actually know the score will chime in and enlighten both of us.

rollin'

Wing-Nut

No offense to Ralf because he really loves the Hypershot, but I am a maybe as well. It looks really great and user friendly but I really don't know how it will make me money. As you know I am using Professional, not expert. So I do not have any photo render software.

Sorry Ralf :(

aeromorrison

I do some rendering work for marketing, but I just don't use it enough to justify a significant purchase. I think that Alibre Photorender gives decent results for the occasional user. I see significant return on investment for Alibre itself, but my business doesn't (yet) see return on investment for something like Hypershot. Don't get me wrong, however, I would love to have time to "play around" more with rendering, but I am too busy trying to get customer jobs finished. I think retaining some basic rendering capabilties in Alibre Professional and Expert is very positive. If not, then some "partner" solution that is very low cost or free would be helpful.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
aeromorrison said:
I do some rendering work for marketing, but I just don't use it enough to justify a significant purchase. I think that Alibre Photorender gives decent results for the occasional user. I see significant return on investment for Alibre itself, but my business doesn't (yet) see return on investment for something like Hypershot. Don't get me wrong, however, I would love to have time to "play around" more with rendering, but I am too busy trying to get customer jobs finished. I think retaining some basic rendering capabilties in Alibre Professional and Expert is very positive. If not, then some "partner" solution that is very low cost or free would be helpful.

I wouldn't worry much about the time to "play around" more with rendering with HyperShot. I tried the demo and it is so user friendly that in less than 30 min of playing around I had a very nice Shot of one of our products. It looked so realistic that if it wasn't standing upright on the ground (a physical improbability for our product) you might think it was a photo. After hours playing around with PhotoRender I have yet to make something that realistic.

Leno

Nate,
do you mean something like that? :D

With hyperShot less than 10 minutes.
Try it with ...

Attachments

• Meet-Grinder.jpg
    Meet-Grinder.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 139

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
>>[NAteLiqGrav] After hours playing around with PhotoRender I have yet to make something that realistic.

I strongly agree with Nate on this. I have managed to get Photorender to give a better rendering than a captured Alibre screen display but not by much. I would occaisionally like to do the classy renderings possible with Hypershot, but not if it costs me very much.
For a mechanical design package (as I consider Alibre to be) Photorealistic renderings are marketing Bling, both in selling the program to users and for the users to sell the product designed to their customers, bosses etc.
It really does not improve the efficiency or design capabilities of the program or the validity of the model presented with it.

I would hate to see any preoccupation with realistic rendering take the developer's eyes off of the things that actually get the job done.
For me that means doing some work with the orphaned sheetmetal module and some improvements in the modeling & drawing environments, but that is not what this thread is about.

Jimpulse

sigseven

Jimpulse said:
I would hate to see any preoccupation with realistic rendering take the developer's eyes off of the things that actually get the job done.
For me that means doing some work with the orphaned sheetmetal module and some improvements in the modeling & drawing environments, but that is not what this thread is about.
You're right that this is sort of off topic from the decision on whether or not to buy HyperShot, but since there are a number of people expressing this I think it's worth addressing.

Alibre users who don't care as much about rendering and want more improvements to the modeling and drawing environments should see a transition from PhotoRender to HyperShot as a plus. With the developers at Bunkspeed handling the rendering, Alibre developers who otherwise would have to spend more time on PhotoRender are freed up to make even more enhancements and bug fixes for the core product like you are interested in.

Users who do care about rendering will have access to a much more robust package to that end, while still enjoying the benefits of greater improvements in Alibre Design itself.

That's my perspective on it as a developer anyway. I just wanted to clear up that HyperShot taking our eyes off of modeling and drawing couldn't be further from the truth.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
Travis (or anyone else),

Maybe I missed it elsewhere in the thread but will HyperShot now be included with Alibre in place of PhotoRender? If so, which version of HyperShot will be included with each version of Alibre?

Thanks, Mike