What's new

Possible conflict with Frontpage.

indesign

Alibre Super User
Possible conflict with Frontpage.

Anyone with MS Frontpage 2003 tried running it while working in Alibre.

I was working on putting pictures from our files into our web sight but kept getting Alibre lockups and crashes. Not had many problems at all in Alibre but this is a constant problem while having Frontpage open.

Problem persists after openng Frontpage then tabbing back to Alibre to open files and export pics I was adding to the web page. I have to restart the computer before Alibre stops giving trouble.

I am running NIS and have the latest of updates installed. No problems appear until opening Frontpge.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User

I've got FrontPage 2003 (also NIS 2005)but don't think I've ever tried using it with Alibre running and certainly not while Alibre is in on-line mode.

I need to do some work with FP later today and will try to see if I can duplicate your problem.

BTW, NIS has started giving me alerts every time I try to open an MS application data file (Word, Excel etc). I'm assuming that's a glitch between the recent Win XP patch and the most recent NIS update. Have you seen anything like that? Maybe it's related to the FP/Alibre problem.

Mike

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User

I just ran a quick test and got no crashes with Alibre while FP 2003 was running.

I booted my system fresh and started up my normal complement of applications (Explorer, Outlook, and the Task Manager), then started Alibre and FP 2003. I opened my most complex project (a model IC engine assembly), exported a jpeg of it, and then imported the jpeg into my web site and saved it. CPU usage pegged at 50% for several miniutes but nothing crashed and eventually CPU usage dropped to essentially zero. I then opened a smaller assembly, exported it as a jpeg, imported into the web site, saved the changes and opened a browser window to check the web page. There was only a brief delay on the 2nd export, maybe 5 seconds, and the web page displays the changes.

FWIW, I'm running SP1 of FP 2003.

Mike

indesign

Alibre Super User

Thanks Mike,

It most likely was a windows glitch in directx. I will try some tests from a fresh boot to see if I have any more issues.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Re:

indesign said:
Online Mode. Think it makes a difference?

I don't really know for sure, but other posts suggest that running in online mode is less stable. I have found myself running offline at least half the time now. I think that offline is more stable, but would like to know why.

jemmej

I'm guessing that something that the Alibre Client does to continue "knowing" that its on-line may not play nice with other software and programs that need on-line functionality too. That's just a theory of course.

Jim

indesign

Alibre Super User

You may be right about the online but I think that frontpage's use of publishing while online with Alibre and maybe even NIS caused the problems. I am sure if one or all combined caused the trouble I was having. I can run all day online with Alibre and not have an issue even with Frontpage open.

The trouble came when trying to publish. The page will not publish and I can not find a reason why (as of yet). I can open the ftp sight manually and move the files myself but Frontpage publish starts something really wierd and becomes very unstable. After this I start getting Alibre lockups/quits. Not sure if I will be testing this anymore for a while but if I get a chance I will post the results.