What's new

Post your V12 wishlists here! [8 items in 1 post!]

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Only 8 items per person allowed in this thread :)

List in order of preference, if possible - some justification would be interesting, too..

Only one post per person, please.(apart from temporary posts by moderators). Please use the topic here for discussion.

Ongoing compilation available here - thanks to mattslay.

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Subject to amplification, ammendments etc.:

1. Full implementation of bi-directional Extrude and Sweep To Next in both Part and Assembly (inter-Part)

2. Ability to Insert a Plane normal to the direction of a 3D path or edge, at any point (presently we can only do this at the end-points).

3. Ability to add Reference Geometry from within 3D Sketch.

4. Inter-Part Reference Geometry access.

5. Project 3D Sections with option to maintain associativity.

6. Multiple profile Sweeps.

7. Ability to assign colour per feature.

8. Assembly level Features.

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User

We're already thinking of v12?!? :shock:

and to think Weird Al has a song lyric about day-and-1/2 old computers being obsolete :lol:

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

I went ahead and made this a sticky to let it be easier to find later. Well, for me, anyway. And as you know, it's all about me! :wink: Once we get word on v12 beta, we can unsticky it. Or is that unstickify?

mattslay

1. The ability to extend, trim, fillet, chamfer REFERENCE lines in a sketch.

2. The ability to dimension and/or contrain to projected intersections of sketch element that do not intersect.

3. The ability to imply or choose a specific constraint while creating a sketch element (rather than only using the one(s) Alibre decides to find)

4. Stacked fractions in dimensions on 2D detailing.

5. A dedicated toolbar for all the constraint icons. One that can be docked and toggled on and off like all other toolbars. It would be in addition to the current fly-out icon for constraints.

6. 2-D drawings: Double-click a dimensions to open the Dimension Properties dialog box.

Edit MH: added:
mattslay said:
How about fixiing this bug:

(2D) Section views taken off of broken views are usually WRONG!! Try it on a long slender shaft with keyways and such... Add a break to the long slender view of the shaft, then take a few section views along the non-broken parts of the shaft... The section views are usually WRONG! I.e. they do not properly show the keyways, flats, etc though which the sections are taken. I first submitted this bug ("section views on broken views") as an incident directly through support (case # 00004794) back on 2/19/2007 (Yes, 2007, over 1 year ago). I got some token response and then got closed!

I have been on the phone today with them about this BUG and at least I think it will get re-opened.

indesign

Alibre Super User
2D enhancements.

2D only in this list. I know some of these can be done using constraints but it would be faster if they were available as I draw the lines not as an after thought.

More 'snap' types than currently available in 2D and sketch.

1)One I miss sorely is the 'theoretical intersect'. (where two object would intersect if they were extended.

2)Snap 'perpendicular' (if a line is at an angle then I can draw a new line that starts from a point and locks perpendicular to a selected line)

3)I also like the ability to toggle through the available snaps. Say hitting the ctrl key and have it toggle through the closest snap locations near the cursor until the one I want is selected.

4)An option popup menu to select (turn on/off) the available snap types without having to stop what is currently being done (draw line/circle/arc/etc.).

5)Zero radius value in fillet (works as a fast trim/extend combined)

6)Isometric/polar drawing constraints. EXAMPLE:Currently the horizontal and vertical work well but I want to be able to draw on an agle with a fixed constraint as I draw. (constrain to angle that is defined in options)

7)Retain plotting (printing) options.

8)Export to dwg/dxf with selectable colors in the layers menu.

Thats all for now...probable many more for me to add when I get the time.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User

1. 2D drawing with indivisual layer for each part. The same part should be in the same layer regardless of the view direction.

2. Configurable short cut menu, and icon menus.

3. Move face command for multiple part's face in assembly.

4. 3D annotation for dimension with GD&T.
Please refer this.

5. Pseudo subassembly handling feature to accomodate large assembly, with less memory. (Suppressing detals of the subassembly and keep them in position in main assembly)

6. On site direction selectivity while 2D view selection, using larger view window with arrows to decide which direction up or front. ( Similar with CoCreate OSM annotation )

7. Fastener tool.
In assembly, you can just one click then preselected part will have hole and female thread created. And predefined screw will be placed at the hole.

8. All menu items should have been iconized, but does not necessarily be shown at default, as far as they are configurable.( reference circle, reference arc, thinwall extrude, thinwall etc.)

I tired to put items which are not overlapped with others.
I am awainting for the system where I can vote to other's opinion.

Anyway, thank you for your efforts, mattslay, Miles.

steved

V12

2D

1 Rotate hole centres for hole PCD's

2 The ability to insert centre's for all curved surfaces.

3 Dimensioning hole through a curved face.

4 All of the items listed by Toshi.

Cheers

Steve :roll:

z28tt

-2. (added on another edit 3/17/08 as I used Alibre quite a bit last week, and was getting frustrated by this) - Edit sketch plane/face. I modelled a stamped A-arm, which had welded tubes that the bushings go into. When I changed the design, I had to create from scratch again the bushing tubes since the parent now had different faces. If I could re-assign the sketch planes to a different face, it would have saved all the rework. I envision this as an option box when you right click the sketch in the design explorer tree. I bet it's already in the backend somewhere, and an API could probably get written, but I'm no programmer. :p

0. SHOW THE COINCIDENT CONSTRAINT ON THE DRAWINGS!!! (and make the various flyouts and toolbars dockable). Check out Rhino3d for a good lead. Everything is configurable there...

1. Mirror (copy) parts in assemblies, where you can pick the part and mirror plane (just like in parts). This would save a ton of time for parts that have been placed with complicated constraints & trimmed to fit, when you just need a mirror copy... Inside parts isn't useful in this instance, since parts are positioned on assemblies, and the mirror plane depends on the assembly, not inside a part. A 2 item 180 deg Circular Pattern Feature does this almost, but it basically mirrors it on 2 planes instead of one.

2. Top Assembly level sketches that all sub parts can access, so you can do true top down modelling of individual parts. For a rollcage example: You can make a simple 3d line drawing, and each individual (contiguous)line can be a path for sweep boss (a tube). Right now it's very tedious to make a tube as a part, then place it in assemblies, then go back to part level to project interferences so you can cut the ends to match up against other tubes, etc...

3. One I just thought of, similar to a thinwall boss command. If you have line segments, you could create a sketch profile of the tube, and then select which lines to apply that profile to. Simpler way of doing sweep tubes that avoids creating perpendicular planes and axis for every single tube.

4. Color by feature and color by face (right click on a feature in the design tree, and change it's color) (on edit 3/16/08 - feel free to ignore this in my count of 8 suggestions, since others already have it)
5. GD&T (or at least +- tolerance on the dimension!) built into the part model which the drawing picks up. It's tedious to go into the part drawing and have to add text to all the dimensions.

6. Interference stops motion in the motion module

7. Formulas and sequences allowed as motion input. If I want to move part1 relative 0,0,1 inches and then turn part 2 90 degrees, that would be great! You could now model (and animate) machines as a movement sequence instead of one step at a time...

Let me know if you guys want more ideas! :)

Andris

Edit MH: added from subsequent post

-1. I just remembered this (on edit, I'm over 8, so ignore another one!), and it's my most important wish:

Please let us access individual part dimensions in other parts. Handle it like Excel, where the non-internal dimension name is the path/part name and dimension (is Alibre smart enough to handle this if the files are all in the repository?).

So many times in assemblies I have one part who's dimensions are driven by another part. You could make a simplified drawing (skeleton sketch?) that contains the critical dimensions, and use that to drive many of the other parts in the assembly. Much easier to quickly adjust dimensions in a skeleton part with only the critical dims than having to go into every single part and edit the formulas themselves. Possible (sort-of) with the Excel module, but that's still not realtime or very convenient for quick changes.

Andris

Does that mean Version 12 is probably a year away? I'm still trying to find my ropes around V10 :lol:

Edit MH: added this reply

mattslay said:
You won't even see V11 untill late Q2 or early Q3 2008, and I bet you cannot get any new features added to it at this point, as I bet they have the new feature set already locked down. Most of the effort with v11 is in the porting of the software to the .NET platform.

That's whay we are talking about V12 here. Hopefully, with the move to .NET out of the way in V11, they can move on to some actual enhancement in V12.

zaf

1. Ability to change the root part in 2D drawing with a similar one(like variant but with a different file name, not a configuration) keeping the measurements and notes in the active views... just as BOM linking...
2. Ability to change one of the parts with a similar one (like variant but with a different file name, not a configuration) in Assembly, keeping the constrains...

(now, I'm doing these by a kind of trick; changing the part name, and letting alibre try find and ask me where it is, but this does not work always, sometimes just confuses, and nothing happens... and that not even possible in repository, as alibre searchs the files with hashes in repository and finds easily :/ )

3.Ability to edit part data like partnumber, description, revision etc. externally ..

4. Show all constraints, now some center and linear constrains have no symbols in sketch and to move it, have to delete and redraw, which makes all links and references unusable in the further features....

Zafer

mrehmus

1. non-reproducing movable reference lines on 2D drawings to allow alignment and other setups-a defeatable auto-snap would be great for drawing objects elements to snap to the reference lines.
2. Rulers on 2D drawings
3. be able to change to different configurations of a part even if there are several instances of the part on the page. This includes using different configurations in a cross-section. All without re-inserting parts.
4. All text should be fully editable including the auto text that comes up with something like a detail or the add-on text for dimensions.
5.Put the cross-hatch line width control on the layers section where it belongs and make line width behave as other items in the layers do.
6. Be able to extract an item from its membership in a drawing item (The red box would no longer contain it) and the drawing item in the box can be moved without the extracted item moving.
7. Fix the bug in Layers that won't allow line styles to be scaled.
8 BIG ONE - tear-away menus that will float. No more sub-menus, everything in tabs. Look at Adobe InDesign.
9 BIG ONE - allow multi-screen operation so I can move the menus out of the way and even scale the drawing across multiple monitors.
10. Allow me to add a part view to a 2D drawing when the part is already on the drawing.

jollylak44

V12 wishlist

1. a part viewer for the file System to have the possibility to view parts without to open the parts and when not using the Repository.

2. the possibility to make a constrain between splines, user generated lines etc. and normal lines etc.

3. a list of the constraints in the explorer like the planes, edges and parts

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User

Here is mine in no order of preference.

1. Reusable sketches for multiple extrudes, cuts, sweeps, ... http://www.alibre.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6367

2. Add a table to any drawing that is associated to the drawing but not associated to the parts/assembly in it.

3. User custom toolbars that float and dock. (I am working on an external solution to this now.)

4. BOMs with configurations that are associated with part/assembly configurations. BOM edits being associated with that configuration and not changing the entire BOM file.

5. Ability to change the plane of a sketch after sketch is created. There are work-a-rounds but they suck.

6. Highlighting of constrained sketch objects.

7. Some method to show that a part is not totally constrained in an assembly. Maybe different icons for different DOF of the parts or a tool that puts arrows in 3D showing DOF.

8. A layer toolbar with drop down selectors.

garyamc

In addition to the previous post.

Being able to open and edit a part or assembly directly from the 2D drawing.

Being able to rename parts from within an assembly would be a good thing too.

mrehmus

When asssmbling parts, I want a way to insure a part won't 'swap' end when I add a constraint.

I want to be able to replace a part in an assembly without deleting and inserting. Just a Replace function that allows the user to decide to keep or reject any or all constraints.

ernie

Been using s/works & s/edge for the past 8 years & just started on Alibre.
Initial thoughts on enhancements

1 - Proper parts mirror command for parts i& sub assemblies n assemblies including sheet metal parts (Without resorting to work arounds)
2 - Option to increase the toolbar icon sizes
3 - Option to cut text or extrude text into a part & to cut/extrude text to a curved surface
4 - Update button in assemblies without re opening the file
5 - Mitre flanges in Sheet Metal