What's new

Preview part in explorer

otrotabi

When I am adding a new part to an assembly, there is no preview in Windows Explorer preview window. According to Alibre´s support, this is a Windows issue and I should address Microsoft to ask them. The workaround they gave me is I should view large thumbnails instead.

I agree this is likely to be a a SO related problem because I have seen it happen with other applications but generally there´s someway to fix it. From previous problems the issue generally lies in Windows registry configuration and can be fixed.

My question is: anyone else is experiencing this ? Is there a fix I can try ?

My setup:

Alibre Design™ Expert
Version: 2018.1.1 64-bit [Build 19055]

Windows 7 Pro
Service Pack 1

simonb65

Alibre Super User
The problem is not a windows issue, unless all file types are not being previewed. i.e. Try a pdf or word doc.

The explorer list/report view shows pre-rendered thumbnails embedded in the file. So when you look at a large thumbnail view, that image is extracted out of the part or assembly file. There is an issue in Alibre in that parts/assemblies created and saved using the API don't generate that thumbnail.

The explorer preview pane uses a different mechanism, in that the windows explorer application (shell) asks the application to render the image for it using the IPreviewHandler interface. So, if Alibre doesn't support the IPreviewHandler interface, you won't get a preview !

otrotabi

Thanks for your feedback. Answering your question, it is not a general issue in my pc, I can preview other file formats. I have SW installed on the same machine and have no issues with it to use it as an example.

I seem to recall being able to use it in the past though, but maybe I am mistaken and it never did, as you imply. Can you please confirm you are not able to do it also ?

Regards
José

JST

Alibre Super User
For me the files show in explorer as large or medium icons, but not if small is selected, and of course if you use the "list" option, there is nothing in any case for PRT files etc. Preview pane works fine for JPG.

This is no problem, because even large icons are so small that they are nearly worthless...... they offer nothing but the most general view of the part.

I presume you are talking about the case of using the "list" option. Microsoft wants you to use the nice pretty consumer-grade contentless icons, they hate the list option and discourage its use.

What is needed is the ability to view the part description from the Alibre program.... having the file name as the only identifying reference to view has been unacceptable from day one of using Alibre.

Any printed circuit layout program will show one or more "property" entries (usually your choice) to allow discovering exactly what the part really is.

Alibre should follow that model. Since there is no backward compatibility now, there is no issue with just doing that.

Mika

This have been change during the windows updates. I remember thumbnails was shown some time ago, but not anymore. Is there any change coming from Alibre side? Thumbnails are really useful thing to view the files.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Mika,

it should be refreshed when you open and save the file again...

Regards
Stefan

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I know thumbnails are not created if you use the 'API' Save or SaveAs functionality. I know that is still not fixed in v22. I wouldn't be surprised to find cases in other operations that miss the step too!

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Is there any change coming from Alibre side?

No - no change. Thumbnails should show if Medium or larger icons are selected in Windows for the Folder View.

If icon size is set large enough and this still isn't working, you could have a damaged thumbcache .db file. Search the web for info on how to resolve that. Win10 handles the cache differently to Win7 & earlier.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Win10 ... folder view options.

upload_2021-3-13_15-46-32.png
Not generated

But if you exit or refresh the folder once you select the new icon size, windows will refresh them ...

upload_2021-3-13_15-52-42.png
Generated OK

Mika

Looks like problem is that my files are on onedrive. I did put one file on C: and thumbnails works fine. I made quick test and dropbox(free) shows Alibre thumbnails also just ok. I just dont know now, why OneDrive cannot do the same. OneDrive 1Tb space comes together with MS Office Business Standard, so I'm not so intrested to buy another cloud drive because of this. (Please dont ask WHY I use cloud drive)