What's new

Print 3D for Alibre Design

jhardy1

Is it just me, or are the parts REALLY expensive to produce?

I downloaded the plug in, and created some simple models of cubes (they don't get any simpler than that!) The cubes were 10 mm, 20 mm, 50 mm and 100 mm side. The cheapest material I can find is White SL Accra 25 SLA process - basic finish. The prices I was quoted are as follows:

Part - Side (cm) - Volume (cc) - Quoted Price - Price per cc
10_mm_Cube.stl - 1 - 1 - $54.28 - $54.28
20_mm_Cube.stl - 2 - 8 - $59.50 - $7.44
50_mm_Cube.stl - 5 - 125 - $255.90 - $2.05
100_mm_Cube.stl - 10 - 1000 - $3,063.10 - $3.06

(OK, I understand that they must use some sort of "magic formula" that means large parts are relatively cheaper than small parts, both volume and surface area are taken into account, etc.)

If I order all 4 parts together, I am offered a bulk discount of $686.55, for a total price of $2,746.22, which works out at $2.42 per cc for the 1,134 cc combined order. Assuming the material has a bulk density of around 1 gram per cc, this works out at around $2,400 per kg!!!!!

Compare this with the pricing for other on-line 3D printing services; e.g. Shapeways can supply basic models from $0.75 per cc ("Full Color Sandstone" http://www.shapeways.com/materials/fullcolor ) - and this rate applies for SMALL models. They quoted me $715.42 to make the 100 mm cube in their "White Strong & Flexible" material

Again, I understand that different rapid prototyping processes can have hugely different cost structures, but I don't think I will be making much use of this service! Heck, for an outlay of not much more than $1,000, you can buy a fully assembled 3D printed (or build one yourself for about half that much) AND several kilograms of feedstock to make these models yourself!

Attachments

• Print3D Quote.png
    Print3D Quote.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 158

neilr

Great interface, but I checked a part, a chess piece, that is 2 1/4" tall in both Shapeways and Print3D. For the same material Shapeways was better than 1/2 the price of Print3D. Of course this is only if I order more than one at Print3D otherwise the piece goes from $64.65 to $100.00 for the single piece, the price at Shapeways was $26.49. This is just a raw price comparison and actual print quality and turnaround have not been factored in, those could be a big factor, I would pay more for better in most cases. So I hope someone uses them both and posts a response on any differences in product/services. Shapeways did have a larger variety of colors and materials too....

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
Opening the add-in takes a minute or two. It crashes Alibre unless I open a small part and shut off all preview options.

Even so, Alibre usually crashes when I close it after using the quote function. Nothing else can be running or open.

Attachments

• Causes Windows Vista Ult shutdown.jpg
    Causes Windows Vista Ult shutdown.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 156

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
The cheapest option for anything I found in Print3D was $394 and totally at their material, STL resolution and orientation discretion.

The alternative vendor was $150 (due to a minimum for order) and my selected material (PC), my specific and high STL resolution (exported and uploaded at their website only) and (important) options.

In Print3D selecting a "PC" like material was $435.

Print3D is just not useful or remotely competitive unless I am mistaken.

(Edit - removed out of context remarks)

When I (hope I) need showcase quality work I may reconsider. If "clear" PC is clear enough and the used resolutions high it could be competitive or a steal. A manual quote for the particular part from the alternative vendor in a clear high resolution material was never even received. Either they could not produce it or they thought it funny to even ask. In the balance everything has to be reviewed researched and considered (over and over :roll: ).

There are far to many pain in the side ambiguities and unresolved questions in the market anyway. I'll stick my foot in that hot water in another - I hope useful - topic sometime.

Attachments

• Cowel 0 394.jpg
    Cowel 0 394.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 160
  • Redeye 150.jpg
    Redeye 150.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 166
  • Cowel 0 435.jpg
    Cowel 0 435.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 122

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
Print3D is available in a standalone version.

It is resource friendly with very large complicated files (and assures the user specification of STL resolution selection :wink: ).

It seems you can only install one version (integrated or standalone) so I choose the standalone for my project needs :cry: .