What's new

Printing to scale on multiple pages

RwSkinner

I generally make my front panels in paper mach ups and when I'm satisfied I move my design over to CAM and cut the parts. On designs that will not fit on one sheet, I allow them to print to scale on multiple sheets then just splice my paper. In Alibre, I have not been able to get a drawing to print on multiple pages. It only prints a portion of the design on a single page.

Is there a way to get around this so I can continue to mach up my parts and check fits?

Richard

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Choose larger paper size (larger than your printer can do), then use a 'poster printing' application to spread this over several sheets.

I wonder if someone would detail how you would do this. The printer won't like it if you choose a paper size it doesn't handle will it? and is a "Poster Printing" application a separate software package? Thanks.

Wade

Just to add to my previous. I can export the file to another CAD package, in my case, Autosketch, as a DXF and tile it over as many pages as I need and then print it out of there. But I don't see that option in Alibre.

Wade

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Yes - you can download 'poster printing' applcations (virtual printer) - equivalent of tiling mentioend above.

danbrinkman89

Another idea without downloading anything.

As Wade said. Choose a bigger paper in Alibre.

Then print to PDF. Open the file with Adobe Reader and Tile Large Pages to fit on several sheets.

Dan

dundeegreen

I am also suffering same situation and need CORRECTLY SCALED output that is broken up onto several 8.5 x 11 inch papers.
I used to do this with Auto-Cad, output the 1:1 scaled drawing at exactly 1:1 over several sheets, dividing up the original size C (22 x 17 inch) drawing into 4 letter size sheets outputs OR size D drawing into 8 letter size outputs.
I would select and box in the desired area to be printed at exactly 8.5 inches x 11 inches and was allowed to output only this 8.5 x 11 inch area to the printer.

I have not had to do this during the last 3 years as we had a good 54" large format printer, but this printer is not available until the middle of 2012 year and I need to print template drawings now, still.

Awaiting your kind suggestions and solutions that will solve this situation for Alibre Design Drawings.

Thank you.
Best Regards,
DAO'CP

vet111

An option I have used for sheetmetal prototypes that are cut by hand was to made a "detail view " sketch of the region of interest and place it on a new page.These can be scaled seperately. Printed on transparent sheets (as for overhead projectors) allows fairly accurate placement of fold lines, centres etc. Regards Brian