What's new

Problem downloading STEP files

Uman

Is anybody experiencing a problem with McMaster Carr CAD 3D model downloads in 3-D STEP format?
I get an "unexpected error has occurred" message during the download process every time.
I believe this download error started after the update to Alibre 2019 SP2.
Can someone please verify this.

-Jeff

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I just downloaded and then opened a file from there without problem.

Can you point us to specific files that you had the problem with?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
That one works fine for me. Just had 'stitch to solid' enabled when opening. Worked regardless of whether I saved first or opened directly. saves OK as AD_PRT

Try re-setting your User Profile - a damaged profile can have all kinds of weird effects. If that fails, maybe uninstall, re-start, re-install from fresh download.

Jeff -- If you look in Resources I have posted a Library (with an Open Office Calc "Selection Index") that contains all standard thread X length American Socket Head Cap Screws developed in Alibre Desing format.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Running 2019 [Build 20072]

Works just fine on my machine.

Attachments

• 92196A199.AD_PRT
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 92196A199.jpg
    92196A199.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 5
I will argue that "constructing the threads" is wasteful whereas allowing a (normally Suppressed) "tap drill reduction" such that, when activated, eliminates "false positives" when performing an Interference Check is of value.

Uman

I did a remove and clean installation and update profile, but problem still persists.

Problem solution....

Go to....Firefox/tools/options...applications
Change application for STEP file from Alibre Design to Alibre Design (default)
All STEP files now open automatically when downloaded.
When reversed, the fault returns.

The clue was upon download, the Alibre error message would open, but never the Alibre application (when closed).
Typically upon download/opening a STEP file (when Alibre is closed) the Alibre application would be invoked and then the STEP file opened.

I do not know why this is so, but it works now.

Thank you DavidJ, bigseb, Lew, idslk & oldfox for your help; within an hour you guys all jumped in.
And yes, Lew, the Resource Library is the way.

-Jeff

upload_2019-12-15_16-56-11.png