What's new

Problem with STEP Import

MisplacedEE

Hi all, I have a STEP file provided by a electronics enclosure manufacturer. The file imports into Alibre AD okay and is usable but the part's extents are so large that the created part is microscopic whenever I switch views. Say, I switch from top view to side view, I will then have to zoom in many orders of magnitude to get back to a reasonable representation on the screen. It's almost like the STEP file has extents of 1 Km x 1 Km for a 10 cm part!

Note, the dimensions of the actual part model are correct, and the part is usable.

I have exported the AD_PRT file to a new STEP file and then re-imported it but that didn't help. I have even imported the STEP into another 3D program and re-exported it, all to no avail.

I don't know enough about STEP file formats to know if the problem is embedded deeply in the file or if there is something "funny" about how Alibre treats this particular part.

Does anyone have a suggestion of how to remove extra "white space" from a STEP file?

Thanks!
The STEP file is attached.

Attachments

• xp-9vb_bott_cvr.stp
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I've just imported it into Alibre and it puts it bang on the origin for me! ...

upload_2021-2-17_2-0-43.png

Importing into MOI 3.0 also puts on the origin.

... and the imported scale is correct (the battery compartment is just over an inch wide)

upload_2021-2-17_2-4-12.png

STEP import settings ...

upload_2021-2-17_2-5-6.png

Pressing the 'Home' key will zoom the view to the extents of the model and in this case (pardon the pun), the enclosure fills the whole screen which suggests there is nothing beyond the actual model geometry!

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Likewise. I was able to open the file in AD and it was centered on the origin. All looks good except for a couple of stray surfaces that are easily removed with the Remove Face command.

STEP Import OK.png

MisplacedEE

Thank you all. I tried it again and it worked fine. I wish I could figure out what I did wrong in the first place. Just to prove that I am not making anything up I have attached the AD_PRT that I created sometime in the process of trying to troubleshoot my issue.