What's new

Problems creating view orientations

Toybuilder

I am having a weird behavior where I generally cannot create view orientations. This happens even when I start a fresh instance of Alibre, create a new part, rotate my view once and then go to the view orientation dialog with Ctrl+U (or through the ribbon).

If you have Alibre running as you read this, can you see if it work for you? It is driving me absolutely batty with a current project where I need to work with custom orientations as my client is supplying me models that are not oriented nicely to the standard orientations.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Yet another un-friendly UI dialog ... should have a visible vertical scroll bar on that list! Should have been tested ...

simonb65

Alibre Super User
BTW, my problem isn't that I can't see the orientation in the list -- they are not showing up!
Confirmed, the problem is that it allows you to go through the motions of Adding, BUT if the view orientation already exists, i.e. you haven't moved the model between selecting 'Manage View Orientations', it won't add your new view.

I guess its to stop you duplicating views that already exist (be it in a different name!), but IT SHOULD TELL YOU THAT or ask if you want to rename the existing view to the new name or cancel the add!

yet another un-friendly UI dialog ... Should have been tested ...

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Simon - that's what I thought when I originally looked at a recent support ticket - BUT, when I re-visited it later, the behaviour was different, I then could add duplicate orientations.... It seems to be more complex / random.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Simon - that's what I thought when I originally looked at a recent support ticket - BUT, when I re-visited it later, the behaviour was different, I then could add duplicate orientations.... It seems to be more complex / random.
Ok, it seems to let you add a duplicate if you perform a 'Set' first, but if you don't set a new orientation, it only lets you Add a single duplicate.

DOES work ...

• Manage View Orientations
  • Add

or

• Set
  • Add
or

• Set
  • Add
  • Set
  • Add
  • Set
  • Add

DOESN'T work ...
  • Add
  • Add
or

• Set
  • Add
  • Add
To fix the latter cases, the dialog needs to automatically set the new view after it's added it!

Toybuilder

OK, so I think I've worked out a TEMPORARY WORKAROUND. Before I create a new view orientation, I open the orientation dialog and set one of the pre-existing orientation and close the dialog. Then, I establish myself on a new orientation and then open the orientation dialog again to do an add.

At least this appears to be a reasonably reliable way to get around this bug. In my testing so far, this seems to be fairly consistent and usable.

Thanks everyone!