What's new

Project to sketch - Update problems

OrjanB

When using Project to sketch between two parts in an assembly I always check «maintain association with source».
I then test by changing the source-sketch. All OK.

When I later, in same session or next day do the same change in same project, the association with source sometimes has gone/dissapeared. I regenerate all involved parts - eventally close all parts and restart Alibre, but no action appears.

The symbol in the receiving sketch indicating connection with source shows as expected.

Known issue?

In my opinion «maintain association with source» should be default, with uncheck as option.

dwc

Alibre Super User
This happens when the feature that is connected to has not been changed, but deleted and redrawn anew. Redrawing changes the internal reference so the connection is broken.
When you change existing features be sure to really just change the existing, do not delete and remake.
Personally I use maintain association as little as possible as in big assemblies it increases the regeneration times quite a bit, as such I prefer the present unchecked default.
But there are still lots of times when it is appropriate and the best solution.

OrjanB

Thank you for comments.

I am aware of the possibillities of disturbing the connection and therefore try to be careful.
But even then errors occur.

Due to that a function like this feels unreliable I often do time-consuming checking by making section views and investigations in order to ensure a correct end result.
I do this because revealing inaccuracies at the designing level cost far less than discovering errors when the machinery is finished from the shop and cannot be used as planned.

If a connection between two sketches is broken I also expect the symbol for connection to vanish.
As it is now I have to manually delete the symbol and make a new projection.

Changing/adjusting parameters in the same part is what I continuosly do when constructing and designing.

My feeling is that projection to skech could/should be made more robust.