What's new

Project to Sketch Usage

How do you most often use Project to Sketch?

• Sketch figure maintain association

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Sketch figure don't maintain association

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Reference figure maintain association

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • Reference figure don't maintain association

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

Stu3d

I have been doing some of the TTT practice models and the things that slow me down (apart from lack of skill) are having to choose reference figures/maintain association in Project to Sketch and drop down menus in extrude, extrude cut etc. More noticable now I select nearly every command using a keyboard shortcut. BTW, doing the practice models has improved my workflow no end.
I leave the setting at sketch figure probably less than 5% of the time. Easier to project the whole face as a reference figure and then switch the odd line or two back to sketch figure if required.
I do leave it at don't maintain association occasionally but can't remember the last time I did.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I have working code that can get and set controls on the Project to Sketch dialog or any window/control that will allow it:

project-to-sketch-settings.gif

The program can detect the Project To Sketch dialog and set values from a text file or click OK for example.

Any suggestions? I can release the code after clean up.

My solution is to have ribbon buttons on a custom ribbon for situtations like this. The ribbon tabs and buttons are generated in code and will be added dynamically.
The names and design will change this is all ongoing. I named the buttons to match the thread questions on the ribbon as an example.

1708191105991.png

The basics is to create functions that get the control from the window and perform actions on that control.

Code:
    Sub Click_Create_Sketch_Figure_Ctrl()
        Dim DialogTitle = "Project To Sketch"
        Dim a = AutoItX.WinGetHandle(DialogTitle, "")
        Dim c = AutoItX.ControlGetHandle(a, "WindowsForms10.BUTTON.app.0.190610d_r8_ad11")
        AutoItX.ControlClick(a, c, "left", 2)
    End Sub

You can do whatever you want from here. I'm sharing what I have and is happy to help.

Stuart

It's roughly a 50/50 split for me.

Sketch figure maintain association - when using a master layout sketch workflow

Reference figure maintain association - when building off an existing sketch workflow

In-Place edit menu for general use inside an existing sketch
Note that when a projected sketch with *maintain association* is broken/lost because of a change higher in the feature list, you won't find out until you notice it's no longer maintaining the association. The little "T-arrow" symbol will still be there. There will be no status change where it's broken. You won't know which projected sketch association is broken in the sketch. You'll have to just delete them and reproject and re-associate and then deal with the ripple effect to other features.

I've reported the lack of a status change for broken associations a long time ago.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Note that when a projected sketch with *maintain association* is broken/lost because of a change higher in the feature list, you won't find out until you notice it's no longer maintaining the association. The little "T-arrow" symbol will still be there. There will be no status change where it's broken. You won't know which projected sketch association is broken in the sketch. You'll have to just delete them and reproject and re-associate and then deal with the ripple effect to other features.

I've reported the lack of a status change for broken associations a long time ago.
Great points. It depends on what I'm building. Generally I try to keep sketches separate that will cause cascading effects and avoid projecting. You're exactly right, this is why I use master layout sketches at the top of the feature tree. They drive lower sketches on the list. What I meant by 50/50 split is that when I use the "Project to Sketch" feature it is an even split between "Sketch figure maintain association" and "Reference figure maintain association".
I change it with right click menu:
1708199926988.png

Stuart

Great points. It depends on what I'm building. Generally I try to keep sketches separate that will cause cascading effects and avoid projecting. You're exactly right, this is why I use master layout sketches at the top of the feature tree. They drive lower sketches on the list. What I meant by 50/50 split is that when I use the "Project to Sketch" feature it is an even split between "Sketch figure maintain association" and "Reference figure maintain association".
I change it with right click menu:
View attachment 41108
I agree about the master layout sketch. I started making sketches that are only used to project to another sketch that is then turned into a feature. That helps. I'm about 95% project as a reference maintain association. I iterate designs a LOT, so projections invariably get broken. Not being able to know when or where they're broken burns up a lot of time repairing them.