What's new

Projection from part to part in assembly - holetool

OrjanB

In an assembly I have holes in part1 and project the holes to adjacent part2 using Edit here.
I then go to part2 - open the projected sketch on part2 and extrude. Works fine.
Problem is:
I want the holes in part2 with threads.
So I project the holes in a part1 to part2 as reference in order to make threads in correct position.
Projection works fine - a sketch occurs on part2.
I then open holetool to make the threads, but how do I make the holetool use the projected sketch?

Orjan

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Change your working order slightly -

Place holes 'somewhere near' in part 2, exit hole tool.
Edit the sketch created by hole tool, project to sketch as reference geometry with association, the face with holes from part 1.
Apply concentric constraints between projected hole edges and the + symbol representing hole nodes.
Exit sketch.

OrjanB

David:
Thank you for advice. Not obvious in my opinion.
This is a type of walkaround that could be avoided if sketches were independent and not connected to a specific tool (hole/extrude)

Another observation concerning this issue:
It seems that holes made with holetool can be projected to another part, but cannot be used for i.e. extrude.
Correct?

Also:
Why is it not possible to insert axis in holes/threads made by holetool?
Could be useful for checking distance center to center.

Last edited:

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Usage of 3D Point(s)
Two 3D Parts in this sample assembly.

- 1 Part with a hole
- 1 Part without hole

Assembly with both parts.
Blank Part -> Edit here

- Insert a Point (3D Point)

Insert-Point-.jpg

3-Point-1.jpg

Insert Hole:

3D-Point-2.jpg

Concentric Constraint:

3D-Point-2-2.jpg

Concentric Constraint -> Done

3D-Point-3-2.jpg

If the hole is later moved, and/or edited, the hole associated with it follows.

Last edited:

OrjanB

Insert axis in hole made by holetool:
If the hole has thread it i not possible, but with a plane hole it is OK.
In order to obtain axis you have to first make a plane hole and insert axis, then change the hole to thread.
Another walkaround from Alibre............

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
It seems that holes made with holetool can be projected to another part, but cannot be used for i.e. extrude.
Correct?
Correct - the sketches for Holes only contain LOCATION of the holes (node or nodes). The size and thread information is held in the Hole feature, not in the sketch. The size also varies depending upon the 'source' selection if the hole is threaded. Source choice may change depending upon the current need

A sketch containing only nodes, will make no sense for an extrusion.

In order to obtain axis you have to first make a plane hole and insert axis, then change the hole to thread.
No - just turn off cosmetic thread rendering whilst you add the axis (so the texture image doesn't get in the way of selecting the cylindrical face).

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Insert axis in hole made by holetool:
If the hole has thread it i not possible, but with a plane hole it is OK.
Another walkaround from Alibre............

Insert Axis works in a hole with a thread and texture, with no problem at all!

Insert-Axis-Hole.gif

No workaround is needed!

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
As Ralf points out - you have to tell the axis tool to expect a cylindrical face if the hole displays cosmetic threads - the texture image for the thread does not convey the underlying geometry.

OrjanB

Thanks to all of you for tips and advice.
Today I learned a lot - perhaps other users also……..
Instead of trying and trying, sometimes without finding the solution I can ask the forum.

Orjan