What's new

Properties fields

neilr

Hello I am wondering if it is possible to set some of my properties fields to a set value for a assembly. For example if I am making a workbench and most of the lumber I am planning on using is the same, can I set it so I do not have to enter the same information into each parts material field? It would be nice to be able to select several parts and edit the fields as one so If I change my mind and wanted oak as my main material I would only have to enter it in one time.

Thanks for any help.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If you mean the material type (steel, pine, hickory etc.) just set it and be sure to apply to system & current part using the apply options. This will then become your default material and be used for all parts until you change it.

neilr

OK great thanks. But there is no way to do a mass edit of existing part then....guess I will just have to be diligent when making my assemblies and not get to far ahead of myself :)

neilr

Nate is that all handled in the rendering software or do you have to edit each part to change colors, materials, and the like? thx

Otherwise I found the answer to my question when I created the BOM, hehe yeah change it there all in one place. Once again I trip over the obvious...:)

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
neilr said:
Nate is that all handled in the rendering software or do you have to edit each part to change colors, materials, and the like? thx
It is is done in the rendering separate from the Alibre files (hope that changes in the future). If I am required to for a project I will change the properties in the Alibre files. For example sometime you need accurate weights of parts or centers gravity during development. Sometimes I will change colors to match real world parts more accurately for the benefit of demonstration. Sometimes weight, center of gravity, and color are not in issue so I leave their related properties to the defaults.

neilr said:
Otherwise I found the answer to my question when I created the BOM, hehe yeah change it there all in one place. Once again I trip over the obvious...:)
FYI: I believe that overwriting the BOM values will not update the parts values, but if that isn't a concern then nevermind.

neilr

Nate you are correct the values changed in the BOM do not alter the part information, I hope they change this and allow us to "update Part" information or something that would make organizing and making changes easier. On the other hand it does force me to be organized from the outset.