What's new

Python language Question

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi all,
I do like know what is the difference between Python language for Alibre Design, FeeCad and Rhinoceros3d?
Thanks in advance,
GIOV

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Too many to number. Each has extended Python for its own use. Anything specific to one will not work in another.

A good analogy might be:
Birch trees, Maple trees, and Spruce trees. Each is a type of Tree and has some common qualities (roots, a truck, limbs, branches, shade, and lumber) but none can be grafted on the other.

Maybe someone else could explain better.

Giov -- My guess (as this is not my area of expertise) is that Alibre Script is a version of Python with "extensions" that make it compatible with Alibre Design's API -- and that versions for scripting other systems (FreeCAD and Rhinocerous3D) have "extensions" to make them compatible with their API.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Thanks Nate & Lew for your reply.
How I wish there was a Python swaths language that converts each of the Software "extensions" to a specific API compatibility.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello GIOV,

it's like cars, the most use the same gasoline, but have different powerful engines...
Alibre - ACIS Kernel, FreeCad - OpenCascade Kernel ... so a lot of functions are based on different engines.
It's not a only a point of the Version of Python (Alibre and Freecad use both 2.7.xx)

Regards
Stefan