What's new

Python script for gears.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Is it possible to include a simple formula to convert a gear script from TPI to Module?
Given diameters, tooth count and other necessary variables.

Oldfopx -- WizoScript has a routine that will generate spurgears (rhough there are things to be aware of with it) where all you need to know are the Diametral Pitch the Pressure Ale and the Number of Teeth to generate a reasonable approximation of an Involute Gear (it being constructed using Cubic Spline rather than true Involuter Curve entities). Just about any text on Gear Design will tell you how to turn whatever ypu know about the Gear you want into Diametral Pitch, Number of Teeth, and Pressure Angle.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
25.4 / DP = Module
25.4 / Module = DP

Convert your module sizes to DP before using the DP gear function.

Be aware this creates a "standard" gear and there is no ability to oversize/undersize a gear to fit a set centre distance. Which is often done.
A gearset may have a default centre distance of 198.83mm due to the desired ratio but the gearbox will be machined at a "nominal" 200mm centres. In most cases, the smaller gear will be oversized to get the correct mesh. It will have a fatter tooth which will increase its lifespan, being the faster turning gear, it will take more wear.

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
Here is the script I use to generate gears. I modified ajayre gear example to fit my needs.

I could not upload the script file because the extension PY is not allowed, so I zip it.

Attachments

• GearGenerator V2.zip
    1 KB · Views: 34

oldfox

Alibre Super User
I modified ajayre gear example to fit my needs.

The Quick Change Gear Box that I posted in the User Gallery was done pre-Andy. That's how I started with gears.
Constructed the profile by the *true* involute method; unwinding the string. THANK YOU ANDY.
I have a few renditions based on the "Earth Gears" example.

I could not upload the script file because the extension PY is not allowed

I just rename the file to filename.txt. Then when I want to open it I just use Open With Wizoscript. Works great.