What's new

Question on Alibre software levels

srjacob

I have a question for all you Alibre gurus.

I have been a long-time user of Alibre Design Expert, even before 3D Systems took it over (that was a lost 3 years). I was doing a commercial project then, but I am not now. I am fairly knowledgeable in the use of Alibre for modelling.

I currently use Alibre for building models for 3D printing. I don't do any sheet metal, but I do use the part and assembly quite a bit.

I would like to get the latest versions of Alibre, but I really can't afford (since I don't do this commercially) the nearly $500/year for maintenance. At this point, I really don't need Expert, and am not sure about Design Professional. I tried to install Atom, but it wouldn't install because it somehow knew that I had Design Expert on this system.

My question is this: What version of Alibre do I continue with on maintenance. I don't know the capabilities of Atom, and obviously can't try it out. Do I keep using Alibre, or switch to something like FreeCad?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

chromos

I'm certainly not a guru (see my posts count), but I had both Atom and full blown demo installed at the same time when I was doing my decision which CAD to choose. Then, after comparing these two I decided for Atom, where it is everything I need (sheet metal design would be nice of course *).

*) I don' know how sheet metal is difficult for devs to program, but for makers, sheet metal is simplest way to construct something, at least in my case. So it would be nice, if sheetmetal will not be a premium feature in most expensive package only.

Hunter

If it's just 3D printing and personal/hobby work and you cannot afford Alibre maintenance, I'd try Fusion 360 or Onshape. I've tried both F360 and Onshape, and settled on Alibre Pro in the end. I've used just about all of the 3D modellers (except Creo), I don't think anything can come close to Alibre's performance-price ratio. The Alibre forums are also some of the friendliest and helpful around, very few naggers/complainers.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Renewing maintenance on your existing Expert (especially when there's any offer on) may not seem so bad compared to purchasing Atom3D - with maintenance.

To eke out their cash, some users buy maintenance only once in a while - nobody forces you to pay for maintenance every year.

Suggest you contact Sales or your reseller to see what deals are available, and if you really want to try Atom out something can be arranged.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
My question is this: What version of Alibre do I continue with on maintenance. I don't know the capabilities of Atom, and obviously can't try it out. Do I keep using Alibre, or switch to something like FreeCad?
What do you intend to do with it?

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Contact us directly or, if working with a reseller, ask them. There is a way to let you try Atom3D - we can issue you a temporary license and you can just Release License -> type in the Atom3D one and now you're using Atom3D. In fact, the same is true of Professional, if you want to try that as well.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
To eke out their cash, some users buy maintenance only once in a while - nobody forces you to pay for maintenance every year.

Is it possible to skip a year or two of maintenance with Alibre Expert and then renew later at the annual fee? I thought Alibre required a lapsed licensee to purchase any missed years before allow you to purchase the current maintenance.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I thought Alibre required a lapsed licensee to purchase any missed years before allow you to purchase the current maintenance.

This is not correct. Let's say you've lapsed 3 years. To get back on maintenance, you will pay:
1) The yearly maintenance fee (for 1 year)
2) A one-time lapsed maintenance fee, pretty nominal

At that point you are back on maintenance. You don't need to pay for each year you were not on it.