What's new

Question regarding STEP files - which type?

mkc2862

Hello all,

When saving files as a STEP file type, which type is best to use?

I see there are two options when exporting, those being STEP AP 203 and STEP AP 214.

Is one better than the other? Why are there two options?

Thanks in advance.

Michael

When saving files as a STEP file type, which type is best to use?
I see there are two options when exporting, those being STEP AP 203 and STEP AP 214.
Michael -- It depends on your needs. I find STEP AP214 best for most Asemblies and STEP AP203 best for certain fairly complicated Parts. The most important "control" is which CAD System is intended ro receive it.

mkc2862

Michael -- It depends on your needs. I find STEP AP214 best for most Asemblies and STEP AP203 best for certain fairly complicated Parts. The most important "control" is which CAD System is intended ro receive it.

Thanks for the reply Lew.

Perhaps saving the drawings in both types may be the best option for me. I don't have many.

Thanks again,

Michael

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Thanks for the reply Lew.

Perhaps saving the drawings in both types may be the best option for me. I don't have many.

Thanks again,

Michael
To avoid any confusion it may be beneficial to learn and use the correct terminology. Parts are 3D models if individual items, Assemblies are collections of those 3D parts, both of which can be exported as either STEP AP203 or STEP AP214. Drawings are the 2D representation of parts and/or assemblies and cannot be exported in either STEP format.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
In very basic terms, the noticeable difference is that STEP AP 214 support colour over and above what AP 203 does. So use 214 if you want to preserve colours in the export.

mkc2862

To avoid any confusion it may be beneficial to learn and use the correct terminology. Parts are 3D models if individual items, Assemblies are collections of those 3D parts, both of which can be exported as either STEP AP203 or STEP AP214. Drawings are the 2D representation of parts and/or assemblies and cannot be exported in either STEP format.

You're quite right Harold. My apologies for being lax in my language.

Perhaps saving the drawings in both types may be the best option for me.
Michael -- A "point ofr order," a Drawing is a specific form of 2D representation and Documentation for a Design. A Model is the 3D Representation of that information. A Model contains no information as to Tolerances or Allowances (currently) internally -- which is one of the reasons that I argue that each Feature needs to be individually and uniquely named to allow and appropriate (if you will) External History File be maintained. Thus, instead of a Feature named (say( Hole <16> it can be named (say) "5X ø.5313" to make it clearer.

mkc2862

Michael -- A "point ofr order," a Drawing is a specific form of 2D representation and Documentation for a Design. A Model is the 3D Representation of that information. A Model contains no information as to Tolerances or Allowances (currently) internally -- which is one of the reasons that I argue that each Feature needs to be individually and uniquely named to allow and appropriate (if you will) External History File be maintained. Thus, instead of a Feature named (say( Hole <16> it can be named (say) "5X ø.5313" to make it clearer.

That's a good idea Lew. I've had some experience in an old version of Solidworks before buying Atom3D, and I've had trouble finding which feature was which when I've wanted to make a change. It never occurred to me to name them.

That's a good idea Lew. I've had some experience in an old version of Solidworks before buying Atom3D, and I've had trouble finding which feature was which when I've wanted to make a change. It never occurred to me to name them.
Hi -- As sopmeone who was a member of the (1978-1982) team that evaluated Euclid (the first 3D CAD system that anybody today would recognize as "3D CAD") I do have some experience in developing "traceable" Models and Documentation across Projects. This is an often overlooked arena of operations. -- Lew

Max

Administrator
Staff member
One thing to note is that with Alibre Design 2019 in a few weeks, the STEP importer is totally overhauled. The superiority of the new STEP import/export cannot be understated. It is vastly superior to 2018 and prior. Also, it adds STEP 242. So if you're having issues with STEP for a model on 2018 or prior, this could be an easy fix.

mkc2862

One thing to note is that with Alibre Design 2019 in a few weeks, the STEP importer is totally overhauled. The superiority of the new STEP import/export cannot be understated. It is vastly superior to 2018 and prior. Also, it adds STEP 242. So if you're having issues with STEP for a model on 2018 or prior, this could be an easy fix.

Hi Max. Will this STEP update apply to Atom3D?

Drutort

I was wondering when I tried the beta, that the export to may CAM software was instant vs 2018, I thought it was fluke so, I tried it a few times and sure enough its really fast on small simple parts, I can really use the benefit on more complex parts:)