What's new

Questions about Alibre one-time offer at $99

Madox

The sad thing is that I realized I have gotten used to Xpress only functionality and don't really use any of the standard stuff :)

The part limit in assembly is the only annoying thing about Xpress (that and the new no drawing restrictions...).

eiaro

NeilVP said:
MWhybrow said:
Funnily enough I received an email today with the offer, not quite the bargain US users get, being priced at 99UKP which is US$164!

Why are potential users in the UK having to pay >60+% more?
No shipping costs incurred, no more support than anyone in the US, so why??

Is the UK not on the same globe that this global offer has been made on?

If a sound, logical and resonable argument can be made as to why I should pay 60% more than the headline offer I might be tempted to buy.

NeilVP

Same goes for Norway where reseller's price equals $206. Compared to the standard reseller price of $2081 it's a great offer, but I don't see why we shouldn't get the same price as our american friends.

jhardy1

Madox said:
The sad thing is that I realized I have gotten used to Xpress only functionality and don't really use any of the standard stuff :)

The part limit in assembly is the only annoying thing about Xpress (that and the new no drawing restrictions...).
As one of the first 100,000 adopters, I have had a few years with the benefit of enhanced Xpress functionality - including Booleans, Shelling, export of ACIS / IGES / STEP, and associative 2D drawing - all of which I use. The export capability was especially important for me, for creating models for meshing and analysis in my FEA package.

While I was disappointed to lose this added functionality recently :cry: , it was still a simple decision for me to upgrade to full Design Standard at this price (even allowing for the "Foreigner Tax" :) ). And for the modest financial outlay, I have even more functionality than previously - full 2D drawing capability (including detail views, etc), unlimited assemblies, BoMs, etc. :D

Hop

This is an interesting thread. It appears to me that there are two groups of Alibre Design users: Professionals, including the serious amateurs, and everyone else.

The “everyone else” folk will try the free, but limited functionality, version and either decide parametric 3D modeling is not their cup of tea or will love it and try to figure out a way to afford the “real” product. Of course the real product is sold in three levels of functionality. Sort of like compact, standard, and luxury when buying an automobile. Beginners are likely to go with the simplest version until they become proficient or require the additional functionality. I think that’s what I did originally, eventually upgrading to Expert when Alibre made me an offer I couldn’t refuse.

A few years before all that, I acquired a “trial demo” CD but didn’t install it. I was put off by what I thought was a requirement at that time to be on-line with an Alibre server to run the software. I could be wrong about this, but that was my perception.

Then I found out I could purchase an Alibre license and pay for it with monthly payments charged to my credit card. And Alibre told me I didn’t have to be online to use the software. So, somewhere along the way, I ended up buying the Expert version, along with a multi-year maintenance contract, directly from Alibre at a substantial discount. I finally got it paid off this year, although I am still paying a monthly charge for the maintenance contract, which runs into March 2010. And I will probably renew the maintenance before it expires. I am just waiting for another offer I can’t refuse from Alibre.

Although I faithfully made the monthly payments, I didn’t really take the time to “test drive” and learn to use V10, even though Alibre bundled the full video tutorial with the software. When later versions came out I dutifully upgraded since I had a maintenance contract. But it wasn’t until June of 2008 that I finally obtained a Pentium IV running XP Pro with a widescreen monitor and enough moxie to really run Alibre Design. And it wasn’t until this year that my “day job” computer was upgraded with enough moxie to run it also. For you young whippersnappers out there, moxie means at least two gigabytes of RAM, 1.6 gigahertz of CPU speed, and 300 gigabytes of hard disk storage. The more moxie you got, the better Alibre trots.

So, what’s this limited time $99 offer for the Alibre Design Standard all about? It’s all about building a larger customer base, luring away that first group of professionals and serious amateurs from Autodesk Inventor, Solid Works, and Solid Edge... the high-priced spreads.

People in this group use 3D solid modeling every day. They have gone through the sometimes painful process of learning to think and work in parametric model-tree space. It takes a really strong incentive to make them give up all that training and learning experience and learn to use a different software package. Even if the Alibre product is less expensive, even if the Alibre product has a similar user interface, even if you give them “trial versions” to try for FREE! They don’t go rushing to the Alibre web site.

But offer them their very own genuine Alibre Design Standard Edition V11.2 for 99 bucks American… that’s a different story. The pros probably can’t afford a home seat with the high-priced spread they use every day at work. With their training they might try to do a little “side business” if they could. It’s basic Psychology 101.

The “everyone else” crowd may sign up too, but unless they become professionals or serious amateurs, that is not who Alibre is aiming this offer at. Alibre needs users who will purchase maintenance contracts.

It appears to me that Alibre has recruited many of its staffers from former high-priced spread users. This offer is a truly outstanding marketing coup, probably conceived by one of them. If you are an Express user who has become somewhat proficient with the free version of Alibre Design, go for the $99 limited-time offer and be sure you add a year of maintenance. That way you get the V12 upgrade for a truly bargain price.

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
Because Alibre expert does not have a viable Cam and Follower feature in 11.2 I have had to speak to the "high-end" providers about their offerings. I am evaluating a trial package now.

Having used Alibre Expert, a high-end competitor in its simulation mode has a "parts tree" that is painfully ambiguous and vague. I don’t know if that is a legacy of “old” software or a corporate idea of improved features. They have as much or more trouble "translating" assembly constraints into the simulation mode.

In conference with another high-end competitor I touted the improvement in CAD offerings allowing developers to work without a roomful of PHD’s. The Demo fellow conceded that CAD is dropping into the realm of the peasant class. :shock: OPEN MOUTH – INSERT FeeT! I assured him I was the peasant class he was thinking of – (and this in the good old USA). I’ve never got a whiff of something like that in Alibre forums. :roll:

So – if Alibre secures the title of the Peasant Class software leader – wear it proudly. I hope 12.0 will let me finish my project with Alibre (save me $10,000 or so) and humble some PHD’s along the way.

magi

I All,

I have a simple question regarding this deal. I realize I need to be connected to the internet to register but does Alibre Standard, the $99 offer version, need to be connected to the internet to use? I want to install and register on a pc/laptop that will then be disconnected from my network and the inernet for long periods of time, is this possible?

Thanks for any feedback,

Marc
================

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi Marc,

No problem at all.
In your Alibre account, you can create a license for your offline Computer/Laptop. :)

- http://www.alibre.com
- Sign In
- Username:
- Passwort:
- My account info
- Your Alibre Design License Key
- To apply for an additional key, click here and follow the directions..

If you are installing or upgrading Alibre Design on a computer that does not have an Internet connection,
you may obtain your license key now by completing the form below.
You are asked to provide a "Site Key", which is a 5 letter identifier for your computer.
Both the Alibre Design Installer and Client program will display this to you upon detecting a missing or invalid license key.

Machine ID:

Site Key:

SUBMIT

That`s all. :)

gilgileau

The $99.00 offer ends Aug 31, 2009 I bought it. It has all the features of the full program for 30 days then drops the high end stuff. Gil

Max

Administrator
Staff member
The $99.00 offer ends Aug 31, 2009 I bought it. It has all the features of the full program for 30 days then drops the high end stuff. Gil

This is not quite accurate. It will likely go a week or two past Aug 31. Additionally, it does not come with 30 days of extra features. If you started with a Trial, then you would be on your "first 30 days" of evaluation of Alibre Design Professional...but after you buy and your license gets updated, your license will be converted to Alibre Design Standard.

Max

deelip

Max,

Don't you think its a bit unfair not to let new users experience Alibre Design Standard untill they actually shell out $99. If I am not mistaken the trial that you offer is a Professional and also includes third party add-ons like Alibre Translate from DATAKIT.

Today I had to explain to one user that for $99 he would not save his Alibre Design parts to SolidWorks. He called this offer a scam. I tried to explain to him that you guys had mentioned all this on your web site, but could not offer an explanation why you did not offer a trial for the software that he was going to eventually buy.

Seriously, you are asking someone to make a decision to buy a product but making him try a higher level product and that too with $499 add-ons. That cannot be right.

Am I missing something here? Do you offer a Standard trial?

PeterCharles said:
I'm in the UK and got it for $99 as follows

1) went to http://www.alibre.com
2) in the top banner clicked "Get the details"
3) clicked "Learn more"
4) went to the Alibre Design Standard and clicked buy now
I got another e-mail today now offering it to me for £99 even though I've bought it for $99.
Why is it considered acceptable to try and rip off us in England!!!
Remember it was the Scots that freed the Lockerbie bomber not the English (we don't have our own Parliament)

I'm considering jumping into Alibre on the $99 deal, but have 2 dumb questions:

1. Does the package include a complete user manual?

2. As I understand it, the license is keyed to your specific machine (similar to the way XP works). What happens when I eventually upgrade to a new computer? Will I be able to migrate my $99 license to the new machine?

My fear is that, a few years from now, I change machines and contact Alibre to migrate the license and they say "oh, you have the $99 special...no migration available on that one".

Thanks,
Ryan

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Grey Rider said:
I'm considering jumping into Alibre on the $99 deal, but have 2 dumb questions:

1. Does the package include a complete user manual?

2. As I understand it, the license is keyed to your specific machine (similar to the way XP works). What happens when I eventually upgrade to a new computer? Will I be able to migrate my $99 license to the new machine?

My fear is that, a few years from now, I change machines and contact Alibre to migrate the license and they say "oh, you have the $99 special...no migration available on that one".

Thanks,
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

1. Yes, in your account you can find the User Guide :) and download the complete Alibre Design User Guide every time. PDF file ~ 11 MB

2. No fear, as a customer you can create 3 licenses, and yes, online and offline.

Online -> Download and install Alibre Design -> Start first time -> Username and Password -> Submit -> That`s all :wink:

Offline -> viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9539&p=56177#p55857

Alas, I tried to install the trial version so I could get an idea whether this is something in which I should invest, and the software won't install. A few minutes into the installation I got the cryptic message box, "Alibre Design has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience".

I attempted several uninstall/install cycles, to no avail. I also rebooted with selective startup running only the Windows installer tool. Same message on install.

My DirectX is the correct version, and functioning properly.

Ryan

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Ryan,

Which OS do you use?
- XP 32 bit SP 2/3
- XP 64 bit SP 1
- Vista 32 bit
- Vista 64 bit
- Windows 7 32 bit
- Windows 7 64 bit

- Installation as Adim?
- Antivir?

Got it! I got it all fixed up. I think I had an issue with my .Net installation, but I'm up and running now!!

Really looking forward to having a look around...

Ryan

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Max,

Don't you think its a bit unfair not to let new users experience Alibre Design Standard untill they actually shell out $99. If I am not mistaken the trial that you offer is a Professional and also includes third party add-ons like Alibre Translate from DATAKIT.

Today I had to explain to one user that for $99 he would not save his Alibre Design parts to SolidWorks. He called this offer a scam. I tried to explain to him that you guys had mentioned all this on your web site, but could not offer an explanation why you did not offer a trial for the software that he was going to eventually buy.

Seriously, you are asking someone to make a decision to buy a product but making him try a higher level product and that too with $499 add-ons. That cannot be right.

Am I missing something here? Do you offer a Standard trial?

Deelip,

We've never had a trial version of Standard - it's always been Professional. We've always sold Standard and this never had this issue. For some reason, we lower the price and all the sudden a few people are having a hard time with this. Understandable to a degree. If someone really wants a trial of Standard, we can give them one. They would need to contact us. You will notice that in almost all Trial instances of any software, you are given the mid/top range. That's kind of the point - let people know what you have. If we didn't [very] clearly lay out what people are downloading on the Trial signup page, I could understand the confusion. But it is the first thing you see...

As a software vendor yourself, you know that not everyone reads what you put on the website. In spite of nearly any effort at clarity, some people will either not read it or won't look to begin with. Despite the fact that we have the comparison between Standard, Pro, and Expert in several places, including directly on the offer page, a few people are for some reason still confused. By the way, Alibre Translate has never, for this offer, been $499. As of yesterday, we are also offering it for $99 alongside Alibre Design Standard. The vast majority of the people we've talked to are pretty crystal clear about what the offer means. In fact the vast majority purchase it without getting a Trial at all - they know what we're about and know it's a good deal. I've seen some people on blogs talking about how confused they are, and it is quite obvious they didn't attempt to find out any information about it. Saying things such as "I don't know what I'm getting", or "No one has told me what is in Alibre Design Standard", or "I can't find any offer details: SCAM". I mean, come on. :) If someone can't find the full offer details, with side-by-side comparisons, then it is difficult to know what to say. It is by far the most prominent thing on alibre.com.

I do not think it's unfair in the least for people to get a Trial of Pro. If we weren't telling them in explicit detail the differences between the two programs, and if they worked in some fundamentally different way, then that would be one thing. But we are, and they don't - one has more features than the other one. I see no problem with allowing someone to use Sheet Metal or the Vault for example to determine if Pro is a better option for them than Standard. Pretend Microsoft is giving a great deal on Microsoft Word - they give you a Trial of Office. When that trial runs out, are you implying that people are going to be blind sighted when Excel doesn't work? Some will. The majority will have done some rudimentary research and will realize that Word is a component of the full Office Suite. The deal is for Word, not for Office. Same thing here, and with most software. But now you know what Excel is all about...seems pretty handy after all.

We've seen that in general people saying the offer is too confusing typically have no interest in buying the software to begin with. Not in *every case*, but in a lot of them. People that need an affordable option are calling us, asking questions, and doing research. And those people are finding the info and then purchasing. Thousands of seats later, I have to believe we are communicating fairly decently to the vast majority of people. To the people that aren't asking any questions to us or doing research and just saying "scam" instead: fine, don't buy it. Pay $5K instead. I mean, we are a phone call or an email away for any level of clarity they require. There is only so much we can do.

Regardless, we've made an addition to the offer page to try to, in even more explicit detail, let people know what they are getting. Hopefully it will work.

Max