What's new

quicker way to finish editing part, return to assembly

NotStonks

When I am done editing a part in an assembly, is there an easier way return to the root assembly? Currently I know of two ways. First is to simply save your assembly, which is only possible if you've actually changed something (also causes a short period of unresponsiveness while it saves), the second is to right-click the part you are editing in the design explorer and select 'Edit part/Subassembly' or 'Edit Root Assembly'

Screenshot 2023-10-08 170019.jpg

I find this a little cumbersome, especially if you have scrolled in the design explorer, which happens quite often with more complex parts. I think this could be more streamlined if you could do this from the context menu

Screenshot 2023-10-08 170044.jpg

or from the main ribbon. I've made a mockup here of what I think that could look like

Screenshot 2023-10-08 170121 mock.jpg
I

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
If you 'Edit in a New Window' then all you need to do is close the window and that returns you to the assembly workspace. Then, if any changes were made to the part, Save the assembly to capture all the changes/updates. That seems a lot easier and is the method I prefer.

NotStonks

If you 'Edit in a New Window' then all you need to do is close the window and that returns you to the assembly workspace. Then, if any changes were made to the part, Save the assembly to capture all the changes/updates. That seems a lot easier and is the method I prefer.
not a bad solution, but using this method complicates interdesign relationships

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You can click on the parent assembly at top of Explorer and choose edit Part/Sub-Assembly. That is often easier to locate than the entry for the specific part you have been editing.

Ex Machina

Another way you could do is this:

In Alibre, you can assign a hotkey to everything and anything. So, just assign a hotkey to the "Edit Root Assembly" command. You hit it and you're back.