What's new

Rectilinear profile on helical path

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Does anybody have any thoughts on maintaining profile orientation on a helical path?

Drawing a non-circular helical path is easy enough. Maintaining profile orientation is not so easy.......

I guess this is what 2 rail Sweeps are for?

Using a Loft for this is a nightmare..........

Miles,

The problem with your statement is that there is not enough detail from which to determine which potential solution will work for you. I ran into this a while ago while designing a (semi-)rectangular wire rectangular spring. I ended up doing it using Equation Editor values to control the "rise" and "sweep radius" conditions to make the spring piecewise with each section's offset also controlled by Equation Editor derived values. It was somewhat of a PITA, but not really a problem.

Does that help?

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Hi Lew,

Thanks for your input

It's not so much that I can't think of solutions. Really just venting my frustration at having to use the Loft tool because of the inadequacy of the Sweep tool......

I want to create a generic coil Part for electric motor windings. It has to work with radiused rectangular section wire as well as round. Your example seems similar.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
This is one area where Geomagic really lags behind the competition. Yes it's do-able but basic stuff like this should be a lot easier.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
It's also an area that has received very little attention since I started using G.D. 9 years ago. Both Sweeps and Lofts are woefully inadequate.