What's new

Red dimensions in drawings - again.....

OrjanB

Summarizing of this thread so far:

1) There is obviously a bug appearing at the specific curcumstances shown in my example.

2) By your help a walkaround is developed:
- Use the retarget tool to get rid of the red dim.
- Then manually add diametersign (Ø)

Thank you all for contributing.

For the future:
I hope the Alibre staff read this and take action, or do I have to report it?

OrjanB

Odd, I can do it. In fact I tried it to make sure before I posted the comment.

I am not by the computer now, but:
The issue occurs when the view shows a shaded assembly were some parts are sectioned and some not.
The part not sectioned (shaft) get red dims, while sectioned part (ring) is OK. No hatching.

Have you tested with the specific curcumstances as shown in my example?

Check this out OrjanB.

It seems that you had created a precise section view in the part file and had brought that in the drawing. Precise Section Views are a different thing. You need a drawing section view and you will be fine. Also, do not go into sketch mode to annotate a drawing.

Check out this amazing video from Joseph_L on advanced view creation in the drawing environment:
What's the reason for not dimensioning while in sketch mode?

Ex Machina

What's the reason for not dimensioning while in sketch mode?
It is bad practice. You can end up annotating to something that does not necessarily updates like a line you have sketched previously, an element of the layout, etc. And generally speaking, the sketching function is for adding stuff to that particular sheet

Last edited:
It is bad practice. You can end up annotating to something that does not necessarily updates like a line you have sketched previously, an element of the layout, etc. And generally speaking, the sketching function is for adding stuff to that particular sheet
Huh, interesting. I thought selecting the dimension tool dropped you into "sketch on sheet" anyways, since the deactivate sketch button activates. I typically use "activate sketch in view" when I need to 1) create a section view line, 2) create tangent lines or points that are typically tricky to dimension to, or 3) add a note with leader that I want to move with the view.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
1 Using the section tool drops you into draw mode for the line as soon as you select the view to be sectioned. In fact, if you select the view and then the section tool, then you are ready to draw the line.
2 For tangent points, normally the theoretical intersection tool does all I need. Unless I am not understanding you properly.
3 Normally, a note is attached to whichever view is active at the time and they move automatically. This catches me out in situations like where the top left view is active and I drop a note into the bottom right corner, it a} moves with the top left view and b} enlarges the view box so that it is included, which causes its own problems. If I want unattached (to views) notes, I have to remember to make sure that all views are deactivated so that it always stays put.

OrjanB

I am surprised to see that my thread in relatively few days has reached 1000 views.
Could it be that lot of users have experienced the issue red dimensions and want to read more about it?
When working, a good flow is important for good efficiency, and issues like red dims destroys the flow.
I am forced to deal with problems not related to the task at the moment: making a proper drawing.

Red dims. should never occur.

Points of view in general:
Alibre has during the latest versions reached a high level with impressive features.
I have been following Alibre since the beginning i 1997, but for professional use Inventor has been my tool.
Now, as retired, it is Alibre.

In the early years, comparing Inventor and Alibre, was not fair. Alibre was more a sophistcated hobby-program with bad stability.
This is not the case now.
Improvements during the latest years have lifted Alibre considerably, as we can see in competitions shown here in the forum.

Alibre is, as mentioned by others her, a hidden jewel, not least because you can buy it forever.
If that had been the case for Inventor I might still be holding on to Inventor.

But now Alibre is my friend………….and the forum is the best there is.

Could be interesting to know:
How many users are there worldwide?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Red dims. should never occur.
Alibre is not the only CAD program with this issue. When I was working and using SolidWorks I had the same issue occasionally and had to reconnect dimensions. It is better now that you can reconnect the errant dims although I find it a bit buggy and sometimes it is quicker to just redimension those that failed.

OrjanB

It is better now that you can reconnect the errant dims although I find it a bit buggy and sometimes it is quicker to just redimension those that failed.
In my case, as described in the thread:
Reconnect: The diameter-sign (Ø) vanish and has to be added manually.
Redimension: When saving and reopening the red. dim. returns.