What's new

Redefine Sketch Plane

Mika

Hey.

Is there any way to redefine sketch plane? Just like lifting the sketch from plane to surface, or moving sketch from surface to another.

Hunter

Yes. This is from memory...

You select all (Ctrl+A) in the sketch you want to copy, then choose your new face/plane, activate a new sketch and paste (Ctrl+V).

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Depends exactly what you mean.

Some will advise that 'best practice' is always to define a plane to place any sketch on. If you do that, re-defining is simple - just edit the plane.

Ability to re-assign sketch to different starting plane has been requested previously and is logged.

You can copy/paste sketch content - but that doesn't capture everything.

If on a parallel plane, you can 'project to sketch' an entire sketch.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Some will advise that 'best practice' is always to define a plane to place any sketch on. If you do that, re-defining is simple - just edit the plane.
This. Must have said it thousands of times here already.

BlackBird28

This. Must have said it thousands of times here already.
Yes, but in the Autodesk universe you could change the sketch plane in the past without problem. It’s the lazy modeling style.
I knew it from Catia and our customers that we have to make construction planes for everything. It’s always better to use planes then geometry. Specially if the geometry is missing later(missing files or so). Then you got a real problem. All the adaptive constructing in inventor can also be a really mess. It’s done quick but you cannot find the upcoming errors later.
That’s why you have to learn it right from the beginning.... if you want to make professional models / drawings.
That’s why it’s a real job.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
You can also Project a Sketch to Sketch. Most people are familiar with projecting faces or edges, but you can actually also project a sketch.

In a sketch open the Project to Sketch tool and select a sketch from the design explorer or from the work area. It has its pros and limitations but can be useful, especially to make a "master sketch" that drives other sketches in the part from a single sketch (via maintain association to source).

sbeamers

I'm never sure about the Cut and Paste method. It seems like things magically line up as they should using that method. But if liability were high, I would go with the Project a Sketch method if it is sourced from a fixed plane.

BlackBird28

You can also Project a Sketch to Sketch. Most people are familiar with projecting faces or edges, but you can actually also project a sketch.

In a sketch open the Project to Sketch tool and select a sketch from the design explorer or from the work area. It has its pros and limitations but can be useful, especially to make a "master sketch" that drives other sketches in the part from a single sketch (via maintain association to source).

I thought alibre doesn’t work well with big sketches. And mastersketches are Moste time big.
I used mastersketches a lot in inventor.

Mika

I get idea to make that kind a "master sketch" of my product and then create parts from it inside the assy. How can I make that "master sketch" visible in assy? All reference display buttons are activated, but cannot see anything. Only if I "edit here" that master sketch, then I can see it...not anyhow else.

Attachments

• Master Sketch.JPG
    Master Sketch.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 26

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Does creating the different parts as different configurations of a single part file work for you? I have done this. With the correct configuration locks set for each configuration - changes to the master sketch change every configuration.

Mika

No it wont. Can I ask stupid question, "why those sketches cannot be make visible"? According to my knowledge, all, I mean all other 3D cad software's do this.

idslk

Alibre Super User
I get idea to make that kind a "master sketch" of my product and then create parts from it inside the assy.
Can you post a picture of the content of a mastersketch?
If it could be visible, how will be your workflow then?
Regards
Stefan

Mika

Just insert a part with simple sketch on new assy, sketch cannot be made visible on assy. See my earlier message, I already send a screenshot.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Just insert a part with simple sketch on new assy, sketch cannot be made visible on assy. See my earlier message, I already send a screenshot.
No. Like David said, use a dummy part to represent the sketch. Best way to do this.