What's new

Reference Lines in 2D Drawing

RwSkinner

In my 3D design work space, I have numerous reference line that must be shown on the 2D drawing, but Alibre randomly shows what it wants to and an incomplete picture. Below should be a dotted reference line every 60 degrees.

How do I get my nice dotted reference lines back on the drawing?

upload_2021-3-14_16-4-2.png

upload_2021-3-14_16-5-51.png

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Part sketch reference figures don't transfer to 2D drawings, only projected edges.

You can add lines manually to the 2D view (using 'sketch in view'), and assign to layer to get the required appearance.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Part sketch reference figures don't transfer to 2D drawings, only projected edges.
As an enhancement, would be nice if a reference figure had a flag you could set to 'Show in Drawing'.

It would save the effort of having to recreate manually something that you've already created and is tied to the geometry and so would be updated if you change the part.

RwSkinner

Thanks for the response. If what you say is true about them not transferring then why in my 2D drawing 80% of them do show while some are missing?

You can add lines manually to the 2D view (using 'sketch in view'), and assign to layer to get the required appearance.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You must be seeing something else - no figures transfer directly from sketches to 2D drawing.

You might be seeing centre lines, PCD marks etc. (check the layer the line is on for a clue)

If you feel there is something at fault, submit it to support - the file(s) will be needed.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I have had some luck copying part modeling sketches into a drawing. If you window select the sketch and copy the sketch in the part then you should be able just Paste the copied sketch in the drawing view (Activate Sketch in View first) and the sketch will drop on the Origin.

You will have to change the layer assignments for the sketch figures to get the correct line type after placing the copied sketch.

Last edited:

RwSkinner

Yes, it was. When searching for a solution, I read that that would also allow reference lines to come over. It worked, but only partially worked.
I sketched it from 2D and then moved them to dotted line layer. Seems odd that you have to do that when a Design Reference is most likely required in the drawing also, since, well, it's a reference.

It looks like the checkbox for "Design Dimensions" was checked when creating the view.

RwSkinner

Thanks Harold.

I have had some luck copying part modeling sketches into a drawing. If you window select the sketch and copy the sketch in the part then you should be able just Paste the copied sketch in the drawing view (Activate Sketch in View first) and the sketch will drop on the Origin.

You will have to change the layer assignments for the sketch figures to get the correct line type after placing the copied sketch.