What's new

Reference lines viewable in another Sketch?

pridbor

I have created a simple Parallelogram defining a sheet onto which I plan to create a number of rectangular holes. (Instrument Panel decorative cover). This is then extruded to 1.5mm.

I would like to use my "nicely placed" reference lines in the Sketch I want to use to placing the holes for the instruments.

A number of the holes are symmetrical and I should have liked to use the reference line I placed in the middle of my Panel, such that I can use the mirror tool to create additional holes

To me it seems that I can't use lines or center point for circles when on a new Sketch, or am I as often just too inexperienced?

Preben

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
You can use Project to Sketch to create a linked copy of your reference sketch into your current sketch.

p2s.png

Preben -- There are a couple of ways to address this issue. (1) Use the Project to Sketch operation to Project (as Reference Lines) the edges of your pocket or cut-out in your panel. Constructing Mid-line References from them is (relatively) simple. (2) Construct Reference Planes that identify the "centers" of your pockets or cut-out and then create Reference Lines that intersect those Planes and the surface of your Part. Either way gives you a Local Origin for your work. I highly recommend that you rename such Reference Geometry as you create it to aid in understanding why you created it!

Tom

I am having problems in this area also. I have assembly A, consisting of parts B, C, D, and E. I am showing the references on part D and trying to "Edit Here" part E. I thought that when editing E the references on D would be visible in the tree when showing references on D and could be selected in the tree. I need references from D, but there are none in the tree. Only faces and edges of D.

Am I all wet here? Is my abundance of gray hair messing up my mind?

batejosh

Hi Tom,

I'm not sure if I'm understanding the issue properly, but could you use the 'project to sketch' tool, and select the sketch you made previously. You will have the options in the 'project to sketch' tool to copy over reference geometry and maintain association.

Hi Tom -- To reiterate, you have choices to (A) create the Project to Sketch geometry as either Sketch or Reference geometry and (B) to make it Associative or not. You need to understand these choices to make the PYS command work properly for you. [Improved Documentation is an area that needs work.]