What's new

Removing Alibre/Geomagic

geo777

I am trying to get shot of Alibre/Geomagic V14.
Every time I remove it via control panel my AutoCAD gets busted.
I know its Alibre causing it as I have now done it 3 times.
No wish to get into a long winded discussion but is anyone aware of this, and able to suggest a way.
Next option is to try in registry.
Or pull Alibre apart and find out why....
Geo.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
AutoCAD gets busted? Can you be more specific?

Possibly a shared library is being removed in the process. Try uninstalling Geomagic Design and then repairing AutoCAD.

geo777

Thanks Seb.
Its a Hiedi driver error in AutoCAD.
It's a HOOPs driver that is graphic card related.
It's a known error I with AutoCAD, that happens sometimes and very hard to fix/repair.
I have also tried and tried to fix AC after removal.
All I know is that I only get it after Alibre removal.
Geo.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
A bit of google-foo tells me that this may well be graphics card related. What graphics card are you using?

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Again, some googling came up with the following possibly solutions in regard to getting AutoCAD running again. You know better what's happening on your system so this will probably mean more to you than to me.

- Download and install the latest Service Pack.
- Reinstall DirectX from the product CD.
- Try switching from Direct 3D to OpenGL via 3DConfig, Manual Tune button.
- Switch to software graphics.
- Update your graphics card drivers to the latest versions.
- Turn off hardware acceleration. Exit AutoCAD. Open AutoCAD and turn hardware acceleration back on.
- Possible conflict with Netmeeting's remote desktop sharing. Disable this feature (in reference to Mechanical Desktop).

geo777

Hi Seb
Of course I have tried all these things to cure it and none seem to work.
If you read further you will find that as with all these things many solutions but not many results !
Had a email from 3DS support they have not heard of this.
But also, I have removed from other desktop same spec before 3DS and had no issues.
BTW Nvidia Qaudro 2000 setup with driver that suits my Solid edge.
Think I will try registry tomorrow.
Thanks for help.
Geo.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Another shot in the dark: how about completely uninstalling AutoCAD and then reinstalling? It still sounds like some library (dll) that is being removed during the GD uninstall.

When you do find a solution please post it here. It may help others too.

geo777

Hi Seb
Yes found a way.
Need to delete all refs to Alibre in registry.
(Anyone doing this backup registry before you do anything !!!)
Then you can remove Geomagic in add/remove programmes.
Strange thing is no refs to Geomagic in registry only Alibre.
Now AutoCAD OK.
Just one other thing.
IMHO.Updating grapics card drivers without very good reason is a sure and certain way to mess a good system.
Many thanks for assistance.
Geo.

indesign

Alibre Super User
Most likely a link to a file is setup in the registry and that file depends then on the existence of GM. Once Gm was removed the link to the source file was missing. A registry cleaner would have fixed this easy enough as well. It is a downfall of Window using the registry to set certain dlls as overrides to control files. However it was Alibre that originally set the override and thus they were the offending program but Microsoft's lack of foresight that lets missing files stop things like graphic control files and thus stopping an entire function in the system.

Unless another program (such as Autocad) took control over that registry then it would remain missing and unusable until the bad link in the registry was removed. Again, a good registry cleaner would have fixed this issue.