What's new

Render Problem

rogpf44

Hello,
I would appreciate any suggestions/comments as to how I may correct this problem.
I enjoy designing/building small engines in my spare time, but this is starting to drive me crazy.
I have been trying to run this through HS, but every time I do, the girder spring “falls apart”.
So far I have done the following:
1. rebuilt the spring (different pitch, taper, and diameter)
2. exported to different formats, then inserted into assembly
3. exported to different formats and change the import settings(Heal, Make Tolerant, etc) when I inserted it into the assembly
I can render the spring with no problems if it is by itself. As I add more parts into the model the render will fail.
When HS will not render a thread for example, I have always found a way to model it. For example, do a Boolean subtract or unite, or change the pitch slightly, but I can not get this to work.
This spring was made with two parts. The middle and the ends (ends are the same) which was assembled with a Boolean unite.
Is there another was to make this type of spring?
The real spring has more of a curve to it instead of a taper, straight section and another taper, but I do not know how to model this.
I can get a straight spring to render fine and a taper spring to render fine in the model, but when I put them together, it will fail.
It is going on 3 in the morning so I hope I have explained myself correctly.
Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
(part file is over 12 megs so I am sending the stp for an example)

Attachments

• SPRING.jpg
    SPRING.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 224
  • OLD NORTON.png
    OLD NORTON.png
    338.6 KB · Views: 207
  • SPRING.stp
    364.6 KB · Views: 141

mshideler

when you look at the rendered Hypershot view and the same view in Alibre with the tesslations turned on (edges), does the area with the lost faces match where the tesslations are in the actual AD spring parts?

If so, it might be that HyperShot has flipped the surface normals on import and rebuilding. I have had that happen to a few parts. The thing with HyperShot being so easy to use and simplified is that they took a few key features out and I wish I could find somewhere in HS that I could 'flip normal' or 'reverse normal direction.

If the issue is outside the tesslations and the surface tesslations in AD lining up, then I am not sure. Might have to also check on the HyperShot forums or tech support.

mjs

jhiker

Alibre Super User
I too have had assemblies which I've exported then read into HS and had surfaces missing. What's worked for me so far is to save a copy of the offending item (part) from Alibre as an IGES file - delete the original part from the Alibre assembly - 'import' the IGES part into the assembly - save it all as STEP214 for loading into Hypershot.
None of them were springs, though.
Might be worth a try. :shock:

rogpf44

Thanks everyone for the reply.

mshideler
“when you look at the rendered Hypershot view and the same view in Alibre with the tesslations turned on (edges), does the area with the lost faces match where the tesslations are in the actual AD spring parts?”
No

jhiker
I tried this and it still fails.

I have done the following so far today:
1. removed the flat on the inside of the springs which I used to assemble them, fails
2. rebuilt the spring with three drawings instead of using Boolean unite and two parts, fails
3. out of desperation I changed the diameter of the middle spring (.001) and while it will fail, it will consistently be better (less distortion) I am lost as to why.

When I get a little free time I will rebuild it again and I am going to try and vary the diameter and pitch from middle to end.

Any other ideas would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks again for your replies.

rogpf44

Hello ralf3,
I have no problem in rendering the spring by itself, its just when I include it in an assembly.
On my system it will render fine when exported as a stp or iges. It is only when I include it into my assembly that it fails.

Its funny but sometimes I can have the girder forks and spring by itself and it will render fine. Then when I add the frame, it will fail. Then other times I can add the forks, frame, engine and it will render fine, but as soon as I add a small part, it will fail again.

I can even take the same model, export it and get a failure in a certain place, for example the straight section of the spring. The next time I will take the same model, no changes, export it and it will fail in the taper section of the spring. I can not find a specific reason for this.

You have helped me before with similar problems and it has generally been my drawing practices of not putting enough planes in the part or how I proceed with the part. I have learned a great deal from you and I am sure it is someway I am building this part that is the problem.
I will just keep trying different approaches to try and pin down what is causing this issue.

Thank You.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
If you want, you can send me your assembly as Alibre *.stp file.
My English is unfortunately too bad to give a good explanation of my thoughts...

rogpf44

Ralf,
Thank you for the offer but some of the parts are confidential.
I can repeat this error if I insert the spring into any large(100+ parts) assembly. If I insert it into a small assembly it will generally render with no problems.
I am going to make a straight spring to test with different diameters and pitches. I am hoping that I can learn something by doing this so I can move on to the tapered spring.
Thank You.

rogpf44

I now have a spring that I can render with the full assembly. :D

I have followed Ralf’s suggestions (from a previous issue) of no holes in my first drawing and then extrude the part. Then I would insert a new plane, make the drawing, then extrude the part, etc. The last thing I did was make the extrude cut through the part.

I have been following Ralf’s suggestion since he stated this to me, but I still run into trouble at times. I have found that some parts are more prone to issues if they are not done in an exact order. (for rendering I mean) I am still trying to learn that order.

This last spring was made as one part and not made with the Boolean unite. I do not know if this was the main issue or my drawing procedure.

Thanks everyone who took the time to reply and especially Ralf for your previous suggestions.

(wow..now I can go to bed on time tonight)

jhiker

Alibre Super User
rogpf44 said:
I now have a spring that I can render with the full assembly. :D

I have followed Ralf’s suggestions (from a previous issue) of no holes in my first drawing and then extrude the part. Then I would insert a new plane, make the drawing, then extrude the part, etc. The last thing I did was make the extrude cut through the part.

I have been following Ralf’s suggestion since he stated this to me, but I still run into trouble at times. I have found that some parts are more prone to issues if they are not done in an exact order. (for rendering I mean) I am still trying to learn that order.

This last spring was made as one part and not made with the Boolean unite. I do not know if this was the main issue or my drawing procedure.

Thanks everyone who took the time to reply and especially Ralf for your previous suggestions.

(wow..now I can go to bed on time tonight)

Glad you got it sorted :D . I still find it hard to accept that there should be a 'correct order' of doing things - surely it shouldn't matter how you get there as long as the end result (the model) is the same.

jhiker

Alibre Super User
Another workaround when you get rogue parts in an assembly is this - has worked for me on a couple of occasions.

In Alibre delete the rogue part from the assembly and export it ready for bringing into HS

Open the assembly again and delete everything EXCEPT the rogue part. Export it again.

Open first model in HS and then bring in second part separately using the 'merge/same co-ordinates' option (can't remember exactly how it's worded).