What's new

Renewed support for 3D pdf

rollin45

I suspect the viewer would make it irrelevant for Alibre users, but one has to assume that it will work as advertised and in all cases. PDF files are already almost a world standard across all platforms, and if" IT" works as advertised, would make for a more widespread and diverse file sharing to the extent that one could "view" 3D file information even if you don't use 3D software.

I guess I posted this in the hopes that Alibre too will sign off on this standard, which will make for a platform neutral way to share/show 3D models. For instance, you may wish to advertise a product or even your services in a magazine or online media, if you can send your model in a pdf file which can be manipulated ( not changed, but rolled, rotated and spun about to any view, or zoomed into etc. ) by anyone, rather than only those who have 3D software already on board, it would be a good thing. To a certain extent this is already possible, but Adobe stopped developement of this a while ago, now it appears they are going to start it up again. I bet they see the writing on the wall as far as the coming wave of 3D printing and the need for crossplatform file sharing.

of course I'm just speculating here but that is my take on the thing

rollin'

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi Rollin,

If I understand correctly your needs... :)

With Alibre you can export /publish to 3D PDF files.
With the Expert version also animated (exploded views) 3D PDF files.

Anyone who has Adobe Acrobat / Reader / X installed, can open your 3D PDF files,
and can: rolling, rotate and spin around to any view, or zoomed into, etc.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Both are useful.

As implimented by Alibre, 3D PDF does not allow reliable measurement (though it should be capable of this) - great to show things to others for 'does this look right?' - and no need for them to install any software.

Alibre viewer will allow measurement.

Sometimes good to allow measurement, sometimes good to prevent measurement (that was a strength of Modelpress which was included a log time ago - you could choose if the viewing person could measure, or print, and also put expiry date on files).

bigseb

Alibre Super User
A big downside of the 3D pdf is the image quality. Many clients have told me its too grainy and indistinct and doesn't really show the model at its best. If Alibre Viewer is anything like eDrawings then they're in for a treat...

rollin45

Adobe came out with their 3D pdf some time ago, I think it was supported only for a short time and it was pretty well dropped as far as being an inhouse product. If Adobe gets behind this again and throws their considerable resources into further developing this, I'm sure the image quality will improve. This is afterall what Adobe pdf documents does, is translate all documents to a readable form. Currently their focus hasn't been on 3D cad, but if they swing this direction, which is sort of what the article is saying, then the situation will change, and I hope for the better. If their software can translate Alibre models to a platform neutral form which can viewed , and within defined limits modified.. it would be a step in the right direction. Proprietary formats is the stumbling block of data sharing, this is of course understandable as companies want their software to be the "go to " solution.

I don't think Adobe is aiming at moving 3D models, or drawings to the shop floor, they are making a translating software enabling visualizing various models across all platforms , this could be used for demonstrations, or advertising not as a basis for manufacturing.

rollin'

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
As much as I would like to have an Alibre produced file viewer, I dont really think it will have the same utility for me as 3D PDF.
If 3D PDF was to includejust a few extra features .... (optional) measurement, improved annotations, better compilation ability and some primitive hypertext type linking, it would satisfy most of my needs for putting models for review out there.

I like the idea of Alibre having control of the view software such as they would have with their own viewer, but there is the issue of getting a piece of software installed on the target audiences' computer. Whereas with a PDF, well almost everyone has Reader installed

In one reply post there was a comment about low screen resolution of PDFs. I would like to hear more about this as I have not found this to be the case. I assume that my clients are seeing as good a screen rendering from Reader as I am.
In fact, when I need quick screen shots from Alibre, I have resorted to creating a 3D PDF, opening it and getting my screen shots from THERE.
I use Adobe Reader in Solid Outline mode.

Better jpg/png exports from Alibre is an area I would like to see improved, but that is a another topic.

Jimpulse

Max

Administrator
Staff member
As much as I would like to have an Alibre produced file viewer, I dont really think it will have the same utility for me as 3D PDF.

Right - these are 2 products for 2 different uses. The 3DPDF is good for quick sharing of the model typically to stakeholders that care less about the exactness and more about the general feel of the model - higher level stuff. The Alibre Viewer is more in line with allowing you to share files with people you work with very often that need to be able to interrogate the model, hide stuff, measure, suppress, mass properties, create redlines, etc. A "full install" of Alibre is required as the viewer is basically Alibre Design with design stripped out. So depending on who you are working with, one option will be better than another option.

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
Max said:
... the viewer is basically Alibre Design with design stripped out. ...

Really great. If "Motion" could be "encapsulated" in the file to be viewed it would be a real treasure - just a thought.

H-L-Smith

I think Max hit the nail on the head; two different products with two different audiences and purposes. I could use both the viewer and 3D PDF facilities at different times.

In the article mentioned above they claim, “Acrobat Reader [is] existing on 98% of connected devices worldwide.” I don't know if that number is correct, but even if it were 60, 70 or 75% that would be huge. Since mobile devices are getting much more capable in terms of graphics (think pads, not just cell phones) having a way to view and even interact with 3D information (even if necessarily limited) on those devices is also huge.

Adobe PDF has enormous credibility and acceptance. Many vendors are installing Adobe Reader on their devices at the factory and there is often nothing for the end-user to download. You get PDF capability right at the start of your user experience, further enhancing it's credibility as just another feature of your device. A hard core consumer of your Alibre information is going to prefer the viewer and be willing to download and install it.

If this 3D PDF consortium is successful, I doubt including its capabilities in Alibre Design will cost much, if anything. It will be interesting to see what this consortium comes up with as a means of delivering future, enhanced, 3D PDF. They do list Adobe as a founding member.

Cheers,