What's new

Revolve cut

hradford5

I want to a cylinder, with a radiused end, shape away from my part. But, I don't seem to have a grasp on how to do it properly. I created an axis correctly, but I keep getting the error that my sweep created a self intersecting body. I've tried 2 different sketches, images attached.
Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong?

Attachments

• Profile1.PNG
    Profile1.PNG
    11.3 KB · Views: 479
  • Profile2.PNG
    Profile2.PNG
    5.1 KB · Views: 479

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I'd draw half the profile of the slot (looking from above) and perform a revolve cut about axis.

I can think of at least one other method - there is hardly ever a single 'correct' answer.

JST

Alibre Super User
I think the first is almost guaranteed to produce a self intersection, if you default to 360deg revolve.

Doing as a half of what you show has always worked for me in 2012.

Then also if the outline and the axis are not correctly related, the revolve may not be correct, and some cases will self-intersect.

hradford5

DavidJ said:
I'd draw half the profile of the slot (looking from above) and perform a revolve cut about axis.

I can think of at least one other method - there is hardly ever a single 'correct' answer.

I tried that, but it gave the same error.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Ralf said:
Hi Zeke,

Can you upload your 3D Part?
I ask, because your topic is: Revolve Cut,
but in your posting you said: "....but I keep getting the error that my sweep created a self intersecting body."

hradford5

Ralf said:
Ralf said:
Hi Zeke,

but in your posting you said: "....but I keep getting the error that my sweep created a self intersecting body."

Ralf, I have to be out of town, for a week or two, but when I get back I'll upload it.

Zeke

hradford5

Ralf said:
Ralf said:
Hi Zeke,

Ralf, here it is.

Attachments

• SNAGGER.AD_PRT
    390.5 KB · Views: 5

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The problem was your sketch crossed over the revolve axis.

Some minor editing of the sketch to give just half of the profile fixed this.

Attachments

• SNAGGER.AD_PRT
    405 KB · Views: 3

hradford5

DavidJ said:
The problem was your sketch crossed over the revolve axis.

Some minor editing of the sketch to give just half of the profile fixed this.

David, I'm having trouble getting my product updated to the version 17 from version 15, so I can't read your file. can you post a screen shot that might show me the fix?