What's new

Revolving a sketch around empty space

concept

I have revolved sketches around cylindrical objects but never around empty space where I cannot simply create an axis. I'm sure there is a way to do this but it's not obvious to me. It would be like creating an o-ring, except the sketch is not as simple. Any advice would be appreciated.

Latitude

You can create a new axis from just a sketch or you can use one of the pre-defined axes from the design tree.

Predefined axes:
1661216508494.png

And while in sketch mode after sketching a line:
1661216632961.png

concept

Thanks, Lattitude. the pre-existing axis don't seem to work. How did you get to that window after sketching a line. Does the line have to be a reference line?
My sketch was created using the XY-Plane. Its origin is where I created a vertical reference line in the hope that it can be used as an axis.

Latitude

I'm a bit surprised the pre-existing axis doesn't work, here's an example of me just trying it out. Are you able to record a video of what you're doing when you select the pre-existing axis?
1661217132239.png

The window after sketching a line - I just search for it next to the "add on" button
1661217174318.png

concept

My axis designations are greyed out. Maybe that indicated a problem.

Attachments

• axis location.JPG
    axis location.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 7

concept

Okay, it really helps to toggle on all reference axis, planes, etc. Once I did that, I could see that I needed to select the Y-axis.
Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• Success.JPG
    Success.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 5

concept

Now here's a strange depiction when I changed the color. The image above has an octagonal geometry that is wafer thin. It may be a bug in Alibre, as I have done no other sketches and extrusions to the model. Also attached is a section view which appears to be normal.

Attachments

• Strange revolve.JPG
    Strange revolve.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 15
  • Bezel Section view.JPG
    Bezel Section view.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 14

Latitude

Glad you have it working!

The octagon issue is above my paygrade so to speak, it might be work reaching out to support for that one.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The octagonal geometry can be removed by changing facet resolution (it occurs at one specific setting). This has been referred to Development for deeper investigation.

concept

Thanks, David!
I changed the Facet Resolution to Fine and all is well.
For those who have never done this in Alibre Expert:
View>Customize Performance>Display>Facet resolution> Move slider bar to the right.