What's new

Rivet Heads: Storing, Entry, Patterns

TwinStar

All:

Using Alibre Design Pro V26

Everything that I'm drawing is for scale models and not prototypes. Therefore I'm interested in the look of the rivet head without the need for the rivets themselves.

I've been playing around with drawing and revolving common rivet designs. I'm approaching a point where I'll need to apply hundreds and eventually thousand of rivet heads.

Is there a way to build a library of what I've drawn instead of having to do it every time?

Can I add these to a part or does it have to be an assembly?

Thanks,

Jacob

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You don't mention which level of the software you have. Take a look at Catalog Features, these can be either a 2D sketch or a 3D feature. They can be reused in other parts.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
You could insert the 'river head' part into an assembly then create an assembly pattern. OR at the part level create an Boolean Unite by adding the rivet head to the part and pattern it before accepting the Boolean.

TwinStar

You don't mention which level of the software you have. Take a look at Catalog Features, these can be either a 2D sketch or a 3D feature. They can be reused in other parts.

David:

My post states Design Pro V26. Is there another descriptor that I should be using?

Thanks,

Jacob

TwinStar

You could insert the 'river head' part into an assembly then create an assembly pattern. OR at the part level create an Boolean Unite by adding the rivet head to the part and pattern it before accepting the Boolean.

I played around with the Boolean feature on a milled product and I can't get it to save as anything other than 'Assembly_Boolean_(x)'. I've been trying to rename it without success. I guess it's a file under the part folder?

Jacob

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I played around with the Boolean feature on a milled product and I can't get it to save as anything other than 'Assembly_Boolean_(x)'. I've been trying to rename it without success. I guess it's a file under the part folder?

Jacob
There are Assembly level Booleans and separate part level Boolean Features. Assembly Booleans create a dumb solid export. Part level Boolean Features create dynamic feature in the part tree that updates based on changes to the tool parts.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I did say "at the part level", maybe should have been more clear.
Here is the Help topic on standard feature design boolean features that may help.

TwinStar

Apologies Jacob, sometimes we read without digesting.

Catalog features are available in Pro

David,

No worries, I thought maybe I had missed something. I see that a lot of guys have their software and version in their signature. I've updated my profile to reflect the same.

BigKahunaFL

David,

No worries, I thought maybe I had missed something. I see that a lot of guys have their software and version in their signature. I've updated my profile to reflect the same.
You might want to include which package of Alibre you're using (e.g., Atom3D, Workshop, Pro, Expert) as some functions are only available in certain packages.

TwinStar

Apologies Jacob, sometimes we read without digesting.

Catalog features are available in Pro

I don't see any support for revolves in catalog. I can draw the rivet I want (half arc) and revolve it but that's where I don't know what to do next. I don't see the 'copy and paste' method here in Alibre.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
No - sorry, so al you can use catalogue feature for is to save the sketch for re-use. Harold's suggestion for Part Boolean may be more versatile.

TwinStar

No - sorry, so al you can use catalogue feature for is to save the sketch for re-use. Harold's suggestion for Part Boolean may be more versatile.

I may need to put the horse back in front of the cart. I seem to be struggling to come up with a good method to draw rivet heads.

My original idea was to draw the required circle on the face, half it, and then revolve around itself. That doesn't seem to work.

Another idea was to extrude a square 1/4 the size of the required head and draw the profile on the side, revolve cut the unneeded portions, extrude cut from top, and then revolve boss the 1/4 into a whole. That works expect that I've got 2 different revolutions inside of each other.

Once drawn and placed ill need to pattern.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
What kind of rivets are you simulating and what shape do you want the rivet head to have? The easiest method would be to draw a circle at the desired head diameter. Then extrude it to the head thickness. Finally apply a fillet to round it off. The fillet could be the same size as the extrusion length of the head or slightly larger. At some point the fillet will fail if it is too large.

If you draw a half profile of the rivet head then insert an axis from sketch on the vertical center line of the half profile you will then have a revolved feature that will pattern.

axis from sketch.jpg

Here's the revolve using the new axis from sketch.

revolved rivet head.jpg

TwinStar

What kind of rivets are you simulating and what shape do you want the rivet head to have? The easiest method would be to draw a circle at the desired head diameter. Then extrude it to the head thickness. Finally apply a fillet to round it off. The fillet could be the same size as the extrusion length of the head or slightly larger. At some point the fillet will fail if it is too large.

If you draw a half profile of the rivet head then insert an axis from sketch on the vertical center line of the half profile you will then have a revolved feature that will pattern.

View attachment 39302

Here's the revolve using the new axis from sketch.

View attachment 39303

I'm just trying for a round head rivet.

I had originally tried a cylinder and a filet and got an error. Maybe I had the radius too large. I'll look at that again.

Revolving around an inserted axis is a new trick and I'll certainly look into that.

Thanks!

TwinStar

I keep getting the 'BL_CANNOT_REORDER: blends too complex to reorder' when I try to apply a filer to a cylinder.

0.015" diameter, .005" extrude boss, attempting .005" filet

BigKahunaFL

Got my curiosity piqued. What is the scale of the model(s) are the rivets for? Wouldn't it be more efficient to make your parts (rivets) actual, full-size, then insert them into an assembly at the desired scale? In this way, you would model one (1) rivet which could be used in models of different scales.

TwinStar

Got my curiosity piqued. What is the scale of the model(s) are the rivets for? Wouldn't it be more efficient to make your parts (rivets) actual, full-size, then insert them into an assembly at the desired scale? In this way, you would model one (1) rivet which could be used in models of different scales.

I'm modeling in HO (1:87.1 or Scale Factor of 0.0115).

I have no doubt that your method would be more efficient and beneficial. My current hangup is on the 'how' to implement this. I know the program can do it but I'm still trying to unlearn Sketchup and this concept right now is alluding me in Design.

I'm going to play around with the new axis concept that Harold discussed and see if I can master that idea.

I used the linear pattern feature multiple times throughout this design so I know what to do next once I can get the rivet heads in the design.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I keep getting the 'BL_CANNOT_REORDER: blends too complex to reorder' when I try to apply a filer to a cylinder.

0.015" diameter, .005" extrude boss, attempting .005" filet
If you are attempting to fillet the top and bottom of the rivet head you cannot use the height as the fillet radius. Use at least half the height for the radius.
But I think you are selecting the wrong surface or edges for the fillet.
If I select the side face the fillet will fail ...

side face selected.jpg

And give this error...
resulting error.jpg

Here's what I think you want. Select the top face or top edge...

.015 x .005 x .005 rivet head.jpg

And a v26 Expert part

Attachments

• .015 x .005 rivet head.AD_PRT
    288.5 KB · Views: 0

TwinStar

If you are attempting to fillet the top and bottom of the rivet head you cannot use the height as the fillet radius. Use at least half the height for the radius.
But I think you are selecting the wrong surface or edges for the fillet.
If I select the side face the fillet will fail ...

View attachment 39312

And give this error...
View attachment 39313

Here's what I think you want. Select the top face or top edge...

View attachment 39310

And a v26 Expert part

Thank you! Yes, I was trying to filet the top arc instead of the top face. I was trying to use the same approach as I did with square edges.

Thank you again. This will move things along nicely.