What's new

Rookie to Rocking it: A Masterclass in 3D Sketching in Alibre

Ex Machina

Here's a video with all the tips and tricks I use to design using 3D sketches in Alibre. I also show how I switch planes and continue sketching from the same place. I hope you enjoy it and I'd love to hear comments or additional questions on 3D sketching.

P.S. Here's the Pneumatic cylinder assembly I did as an example in case anyone wants to have the files.

Attachments

• 3D Sketch Pneumatic Example.AD_PKG
    2.3 MB · Views: 6

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Konstantinos, That is a great video. I learned more about 3D sketching in this video than I could from the Help manual or practicing on my own. I can see that using Reference geometry goes a long way in creating stable 3D sketches. I tried the Elevation dialog a few times but never could get the hang of it since I was relying the cursor to place the sketch, which seemed to always end badly.

The only thing I would suggest is that you insert 2D Points instead of projecting to sketch. That is something I saw in this video from Alibre Schweiz that demos a similar 3D operation as you.

Ex Machina

Konstantinos, That is a great video. I learned more about 3D sketching in this video than I could from the Help manual or practicing on my own. I can see that using Reference geometry goes a long way in creating stable 3D sketches. I tried the Elevation dialog a few times but never could get the hang of it since I was relying the cursor to place the sketch, which seemed to always end badly.

The only thing I would suggest is that you insert 2D Points instead of projecting to sketch. That is something I saw in this video from Alibre Schweiz that demos a similar 3D operation as you.
That is actually a really good suggestion. I do do that often and I should have mentioned it in the video. It's just that it might be easier for beginners to keep everything confined within one sketch. Now, the real gem in that video is the way he makes those arcs tangent. Because if you try to do it with one arc, it will error out. I think the sketch solver is at its limits with the 3D sketching. But that's a great workaround.

I checkout Alibre Schweiz's video often. They have some great examples.

Ex Machina

There's no need to assign shortcut key for cycle sketch plane - the TAB key does that already, as does F

That's good to know. I guess I saw that there was no hotkey assigned and assumed that it wouldn't have one. Thanks!!! Important info! As for the Elevation key, I think oyu are right. I remember that. I changed it to W so that it looks like the FORWARD button in most games... Silly I know, but I can remember it easily...

P.S. I have assigned F to fillets. Maybe it took it out of 3D sketching. hmm...

Last edited:

S_Design

Hello Konstantinos
Once again a very educational video. :):) As a beginner, 3D sketching is not easy to master. Without a grid it becomes very difficult.
I created my wiring using points and a 3D spline. May not win a beauty contest, but is useful for visualization.
I hope to see more videos from you and the forum.
Greetings Marc

1707057579797.png

Ex Machina

Hello Konstantinos
Once again a very educational video. :):) As a beginner, 3D sketching is not easy to master. Without a grid it becomes very difficult.
I created my wiring using points and a 3D spline. May not win a beauty contest, but is useful for visualization.
I hope to see more videos from you and the forum.
Greetings Marc

View attachment 40890
What can I say to a comment like that? I am honoured! Comments like that are the fuel that keeps the fire burning to make more videos.

Thank you so much

Stu3d

I have just been playing with the 3d coordinate Direct Entry ability.
Took me right back to the early 90s when I used Generic Cadd 3d where that was the only drawing input method, type coordiates x,y,z and hit enter for every line. No pop up box for coordinates and relative or absolute was picked in setting beforehand so was very slick compared with Alibre Direct Entry, just type 100,200,500 and hit enter then repeat. Had other tools like penup, arcs, copy, mirror etc. Everything was wireframe, select hidden line removal command when finished then wait for the 80286 cpu to do it's thing ...............................
Here is a golf buggy design I did in 1995.

Screenshot 2024-02-12 110947.png

kritoke

I also would like to thank you for the video and for the other 3d sketch video posted. I never could figure out how to do 3d sketching prior using the manual. Now I have some ideas of when to actually make use of it.

Ex Machina

I have just been playing with the 3d coordinate Direct Entry ability.
Took me right back to the early 90s when I used Generic Cadd 3d where that was the only drawing input method, type coordiates x,y,z and hit enter for every line. No pop up box for coordinates and relative or absolute was picked in setting beforehand so was very slick compared with Alibre Direct Entry, just type 100,200,500 and hit enter then repeat. Had other tools like penup, arcs, copy, mirror etc. Everything was wireframe, select hidden line removal command when finished then wait for the 80286 cpu to do it's thing ...............................
Here is a golf buggy design I did in 1995.

View attachment 41031
Yeah Stu, that also really cool. But to be careful because that's not parametric. And that's a cool design to have made in 1995. A lot harder than using today's software.

KUDOS!

Ex Machina

I also would like to thank you for the video and for the other 3d sketch video posted. I never could figure out how to do 3d sketching prior using the manual. Now I have some ideas of when to actually make use of it.
Thanks for the comment, kritoke! Comments like that is what makes it all worth while. Thanks