What's new

Rotate a part around ANY axis while in part work space

Dave H

I have a few parts modeled that I would like to re-orient relative to the axes. For example: I would like to rotate them around an axis, so Y dimensions are now X dimensions, or the top is now the bottom, to make it simpler for me to generate CAM code. And have the sketches still useable in AlibeCAM.

Is this possible in the part workspace?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Start a New part and insert the part you want to reorient as a Boolean Unite. Use constraints to position as required.

Fueler

Harold,
I have the same issue where I screwed up on my XY and need to re-orientate the part.
I understand the start a new part but at the risk of appearing daft How do I get the old part into the new drawing?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
If you're using the ribbon bar:

Or -- if you're using the menus select Feature>Boolean>Unite. Either way it will bring up the Insert Part/Subassembly dialog from which you can navigate to your part. Once you have it placed like you want you'll have to select to either accept or reject the results.

Attachments

• Boolean.PNG
    Boolean.PNG
    15.4 KB · Views: 764
  • Boolean accept.PNG
    Boolean accept.PNG
    47.9 KB · Views: 7
Somewhat off topic, but the Boolean Unite (and other Boolean operand) tool set is one of the most valuable features of GMD! I have been designing a case-based product where I define the basic overall case geometry in an xxx BOOLEAN Basis (part) file that is then loaded via the Boolean Unite command into xxx Case Upper and xxx Case Lower part files where the individual mating case parts are completed. When some change is made to the overall case, a quick edit to xxx BOOLEAN Basis the updates everything quickly, easily, and nicely!

Rabbit and tenon alignment joins are easily created and, through appropriate use of Boolean Unite and Boolean Subtract operands, used to create such features -- with everything tying back to the xxx BOOLEAN Basis (part) file.

Tom_B

How did you know that this thread was exactly the information I needed to solve a modeling problem that stymied me all day yesterday and the day before? I'm trying to model a a 25'L x 10'H x 5'D I-beam structure with a truss like members at unequal angles. Two different approach attempts yesterday failed. Just this morning I looked at forum, while procrastinating getting started again, and what do I find, the obvious today, but never before imagined solution. Thanks to both the questioner and to the authors of the very clear replies.

Tom

Even more topic drift here...

The Alibre/Geomagic Powered website is to be withdrawn shortly. If 3D Systems had their act together, they would transform into a user-group website such that we could share GMD-specific files and settings among our (users') selves! It would not be all that hard to create a Using Boolean operands to control coordinated Part geometry file-set with text and instructional video. It would be a moderate size file-set (much smaller in 7Z format) for which the main issue would be to provide an Index that would allow other users to find it!

YouTube is "nice," but (A) it lacks associated file downloads and (B) assumes a high-speed internet connection that is not universally available around the world. By donating the site to a user's group (obviously operating under 3D System's aegis), there is a remove that provides some protection for 3DS is something "inappropriate" gets uploaded and slips through the "vetting process" (on of the obnoxious risks of the internet today) while providing users a place in which to share things that will improve the understanding and reputation of GMD.

It would be quite useful to have a place where questions, such as the one posed here initially -- and several other places in the forum previously, could have an instructional file & video set to walk a user through the answer!

Dave H

Lew_Merrick said:
Even more topic drift here...

The Alibre/Geomagic Powered website is to be withdrawn shortly. If 3D Systems had their act together, they would transform into a user-group website such that we could share GMD-specific files and settings among our (users') selves! It would not be all that hard to create a Using Boolean operands to control coordinated Part geometry file-set with text and instructional video. It would be a moderate size file-set (much smaller in 7Z format) for which the main issue would be to provide an Index that would allow other users to find it!

YouTube is "nice," but (A) it lacks associated file downloads and (B) assumes a high-speed internet connection that is not universally available around the world. By donating the site to a user's group (obviously operating under 3D System's aegis), there is a remove that provides some protection for 3DS is something "inappropriate" gets uploaded and slips through the "vetting process" (on of the obnoxious risks of the internet today) while providing users a place in which to share things that will improve the understanding and reputation of GMD.

It would be quite useful to have a place where questions, such as the one posed here initially -- and several other places in the forum previously, could have an instructional file & video set to walk a user through the answer!

BIGThumbs up for this ^^^

Fueler

Confused. ARe you speaking of this forum?
IF so I will be pissed. This forum is one reason I bought Geo.

Fueler said:
Confused. ARe you speaking of this forum? IF so I will be pissed. This forum is one reason I bought Geo.
Dave is correct. I have been agitating for a (at least) semi-independent arena where files, such as the various alibre_unicode..., libraries of standard components, and the like could be exchanged without using a 3rd party forum (such as http://www.GrabCAD.com -- as I do now)such that our focus may be honed and improved.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
Do any of the major CAD programs offer a way to re-orient a part about axes (or change the starting plane) without having to resort to a Boolean function?

Mike

Mike,

Unigraphics/NX provides a mechanical engineering traditional (i.e. the XY-plane is "horizontal" to the screen) axis interface. ProEngineer/CREO and SoiidWorks use a "Top," "Front," and "Side" plane set that can be redefined at will. It has been a while since I used SolidEdge, but, as I recall, it provides a "user orientation" of primary axis and planes. Catia, being almost all "user defined" depends on how the programmer who set up the system decided things should be (at Boeing, Catia primary planes are defined as "Station," Butt Line," and "Waterline"). I believe (but do not actually recall as I avoid it to the greatest degree possible) that Autodesk Inventor uses the civil engineering traditional default orientation.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
+1 on the traditional ME way of orienting the part space, but it should at least be a user-selectable setting so that all users can be productive.

But that addresses how the part space is first presented to the user. Do any of them allow you to change the part orientation after the design is committed without having to do a Boolean operation? For example, say that the starting feature for a part is sketched on the X-Y plane and it is later desired to base it on the Y-Z plane or any other plane. Do any of the main CAD programs allow one to make that change without using a Boolean operation? Is it difficult to program such a feature?

Along the same lines it would be really handy to allow the user to change the plane or surface to which a feature sketch is applied.

MikeHenry said:
But that addresses how the part space is first presented to the user. Do any of them allow you to change the part orientation after the design is committed without having to do a Boolean operation? For example, say that the starting feature for a part is sketched on the X-Y plane and it is later desired to base it on the Y-Z plane or any other plane. Do any of the main CAD programs allow one to make that change without using a Boolean operation? Is it difficult to program such a feature?

Along the same lines it would be really handy to allow the user to change the plane or surface to which a feature sketch is applied.
From my knothole on the universe, the coordinate system in which I am designing a part is really an analog of the coordinate system of the machine tool upon which it will be manufactured or some end product coordinate system. The issue here is less one of making sketches on planes of specific orientation as that is fairly easy to handle in the context of reference plane definition assignment. The greater challenge lies with coordination of datums and other reference points and the true killer of referenced part geometry including Project to Sketch references.

At the most trivial level, one can open Sketch <X>, perform a Select All and Copy, exit Sketch <X>, open Sketch <Y>, Paste the geometry, dimension everything, and exit Sketch <Y>. You are just likely to spend a lot of time re-establishing your constraints and dimensional relationships.

One thing you can always do is to rename the planes and axis. Obviously, if you want the XY-Plane to become the YZ-Plane, you are going to have to use an intermediate name to "hold place" while you rename the other planes. The same is true of the cardinal axis. The only fly in the ointment in this is that your output data will still be formatted to the default condition.

Does any of this help?

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
Ah, it hadn't occurred to me that the 3 original planes could be renamed. That's of some help but it wouldn't change the orientation that a part has when it is inserted into an assembly. That's a guess as I haven't tried changing plane names to see what happens. I don't always know how a part will be oriented in an assembly when it is created so many times the part is oriented about the main planes in a non-optimal manner so far as insertion in an assembly goes. It's not a big deal even for assemblies with multiples of the same parts, but it seems a small thing to ask.

Part of my point here is that although there are ways to work around perceived deficiencies in feature set, they aren't necessarily the most obvious or best ways to deal with the issue and it seems like GMD should be making efforts correct the deficiencies most often need by the user base.

jaysinn

OK, I've got a part that was given to me in STL format. I imported it into Geomagic (it had to be an "organic" shape) and saved it as an AD_PRT. But it has an inappropriate orientation for my 3D printer. So now, on the basis of this topic, I tried creating a new Part (blank) and using Boolean Unite to bring the poorly-oriented part into the new part workspace. As long as I'm still in the Boolean Unite window, I can see the part and I can rotate it - so I'm thinking I've made it.

However, when I click the green check mark to finalize insertion of the re-oriented part into my otherwise blank workspace, I get an error screen saying "DESIGNBOOLEAN_TOOLBODY_MISSING: No Tools Selected." What's that about? How can I fix that problem? I don't see any "tools" in the Boolean screen that seem remotely appropriate (just the opportunity to insert more copies, or create an array, etc. etc. - which I don't want to do).

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
Doesn't your slicer allow you to re-orient the part before printing? My (Zortrax printer with proprietary software) does and that's usually the easiest way to deal with issues like this.

jaysinn

I guess I could use NETFABB to re-orient the part I received.

But can anyone answer the question I posed about how to finish the job of inserting a part into a Part workspace using the Boolean insertion? There are other times that I'd like to be able to re-orient a part after I've finished designing it. In this case (if I'm responsible for the design in the first place) I'd be able to specify an exact number of degrees to get the desired outcome (instead of "eyeballing it"). And I'd have an AD_PRT instead of an STL to work with in the future.