What's new

rotate around center of view

MarcusWolschon

I couldn't find a similar topic with the search function,
so here is my question:

I use a Space mouse and when trying to view a small part, far away from the origin inside of a large assembly it's very frustrating
that the center of rotation is the center of the assembly (or the origin. Whatever I configure with the rotation point tool).
When I rotate even a tiny amount the part turns our of screen and I have to pan around and search for it again.

Is there any way to make the center of the current viewport be the center of rotation or something similar?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You can set the rotation point and add new ones, though you might find the behaviour takes a bit of getting used to.

MarcusWolschon

DavidJ said:
You can set the rotation point and add new ones, though you might find the behaviour takes a bit of getting used to.

But isn't that limited to setting the rotation point to some point in my geometry?
The 3D View I'm working in is not a geometry I can select.

JST

Alibre Super User
Does the "Space Mouse" not allow on-the-fly selection of rotation point as a regular mouse does?

With a regular mouse, the item/point you have the cursor on when you do a two-button rotate is the center of rotation.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I use the Space Navigator and the action should be the same for both. To rotate your model on a "new" center point click with the both Right and Left buttons on your regular mouse on the model and start to rotate the it just a little then hold it. THEN use the Space Mouse to rotate your model about the point you just selected with the regular mouse. It takes some practice but is real handy when you get the hang of it.

MarcusWolschon

HaroldL said:
I use the Space Navigator and the action should be the same for both. To rotate your model on a "new" center point click with the both Right and Left buttons on your regular mouse on the model and start to rotate the it just a little then hold it. THEN use the Space Mouse to rotate your model about the point you just selected with the regular mouse. It takes some practice but is real handy when you get the hang of it.

Thanks a lot!