What's new

Rotating parts

jcdammeyer

I've created two gears using the Python Script, modified to use module. The gears are meant to be stacked and what I'd like is to have the centerline of a tooth on axis so that when the gears are connected the one tooth that matches is also in line with both the 3 mounting holes and the mark on the tooth.

The python script doesn't center a tooth on an axis. If it did then this wouldn't be a problem Is there a way to rotate each part so I can set up the alignment as shown in the assembly but on X or Y axis?

Attachments

• SpurCluster_0-5.AD_ASM
    230.5 KB · Views: 4

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
An assembly file alone does not include the parts. Either add the parts or post a Package file created from the assembly.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
You need to rotate the sketch for each gear to align the tooth as needed.

Edit the sketch as shown:
EditSketch.png

Rotate the sketch:
RotateSketch.png

The Rotate option is in the Ribbon or in the Sketch Menu:
Rotate Sketch Icon.png

Update the model:
Updated model.png

Reconstrain the parts in the assembly:
Updated Assy.png

Hope these images help.
I'm not uploading the updated model package since I have v24 and you won't be able to open it.

jcdammeyer

Thank you. No need to upload the model package since learning how to do this is more important than just having a solution. However I do have V24 so that would have worked. What I've found so far is I have 3 intersection faults after I rotate and try to apply. Not sure why. Can't seem to clean those up. I'll work on it some more.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Moving and Rotating sketches is a bit tricky.
Make sure you zoom out so the entire sketch is viewable and selectable. I used a Window Select from left to right when I did it. If you get any reference figures in the selection then they need or should be removed (Shift>Select) before rotating the selection.

I was going by what you have in your signature as Rev 2023. I try to update my signature whenever I update the software.
As long as you have v24, here's the package file.

Attachments

• SpurCluster_0-5 UPDATED wROTATED SKETCHES.AD_PKG
    551.7 KB · Views: 1

jcdammeyer

Thanks Harold, Yours is better aligned compared to mine. I wasn't able to properly get the center of the tooth in order to get the angle to the axis. Need to work on that a bit more.