What's new

Running 2015.1.1 but cannot open a *.prt file

rmcard

I am another one who hasn't upgraded in over a year at least but I think I'm running the latest version. I just tried translating several customer solidworks *.prt files and got the message "input file version not supported, try saving file to an older version".

My question is even if I had the most current GD version running, it would really make no difference because 3D systems hasn't updated the program where it can open the most recent competitor part files.

JST

Alibre Super User
GMD, in common with some others, is generally a year back in import file capability from SWX etc. Probably the SWX files are 2016, which is not necessarily supported for import. If the clients can export as a prior version, that should work fine, I have done that.

Your version is the same as mine, which is the latest.

It's not uncommon. A LOT of programs, not all CAD, that import, for instance, AutoCad files, do not import the latest. I have, when dealing with AutoCad output, usually exported from AutoCad as an R14 file, because pretty much everything with any pretensions to importing a DWG or DXF will take that.