What's new

save as a OBJ file for Virtual Reality display

Willis123

I need to save an AD part as an OBJ file to use in a VR lab. Can this be done? And can you save assemblies as well?

Hunter

I need to save an AD part as an OBJ file to use in a VR lab. Can this be done? And can you save assemblies as well?
You can try to export your assembly as a STEP file, then open it with CAD Assistant (free download, from Open Cascade) and then export to OBJ. There are a few other options you can try too, like MeshLab, JT2Go, Blender and Gmsh. They're all free software that can deal with mesh files, but you have to be willing to fiddle a bit with settings/options, both on the export and import side.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Whatever happened to the Sycode Addons? I was hopeful that the code was going to be integrated when Alibre and Sycode were both purchased by 3D Systems but nothing came of it then. Alibre re-emerged independent and the Sycode site has since been redirected to 3D Systems.

Willis123

Thanks Hunter and Max for the ideas. I used CAD Assistant and it's fine for what I'm doing. But is there any plan to integrate a (save as) OBJ file into AD? I don't know how many of us are using our designs in VR.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
If you have KeyShot for Alibre check to see if it has the Export to Obj option like the full version does. IF it does then your work flow would be to send the model to KeyShot then Export to Obj.