What's new

Saving Files As Older Versions

Good Morning All

I was wondering if there is a way to save/revert files that have been saved out of version 16 so that they can be opened again in version 15? I worked on a project and saved it in the new version and even though I have paid for maintenance, I would like to go back to version 15. The Part files aren't too bad but the drawing has several sheets with notations. Or do I have to pull up the files in Version 15 and work on them to update them? Thanks.

Wade

Thanks for that Tim

So now that leads me to another question. Is there an accepted or practised procedure for archiving both part/assembly and drawing files? I'm thinking of a simple case like a pressure vessel design that will expire in ten years. At that time it will need to be resubmitted with new dates in the title block, current applicable codes and such. So if Alibre/Geomagic or for that matter, whatever software that I have used to create the design is "unavailable" to me, is there a more universally openable set of file formats? I can see where STL or STEP files for the 3-D files might be ok, but the drawing? My experience with DWG and DXF files has shown that although geometrically correct, they don't handle notations well at all, and then nothing would retain it's parametric capacity. A PDF would just give you a place to start over from. What do you folks out there do about this? Thanks.

Wade

simonb65

Alibre Super User
indesign said:
No way to backwards save.

That is one oversight in this application. I do appreciate that you couldn't save new feature data, but then again if you save as an old version in MS Word or Excel it tells you that some features will be lost and asks if you want to continue ... fair enough!

So, being able to save in a version that 'loses' part or feature attributes is not a big deal if you know the limitations. You probably only want to revert back because you want to downgrade or send the files to someone else with an older version of Alibre/Geomagic and loosing a few features is probably better than what you would loose converting to a non-geomagic format (i.e. STEP, IGES) then re importing it into AD/GD again!

indesign

Alibre Super User
I so agree Simon.

As for future opening of a file. Well that goes for any software. Stp or iges could even be obsolete in 10 years for all we know.

indesign said:
As for future opening of a file. Well that goes for any software. Stp or iges could even be obsolete in 10 years for all we know.
IGES (the Initial Graphical Exchange Specification) has been obsolete since 1994 when the standard was formally abandoned. (It was supposed to be replaced by PDES -- the Product Definition Exchange Specification -- but that never happened.) Instead, it was replaced by ISO-10303 more commonly known as STEP (which is some French acronym).

indesign

Alibre Super User
Sorry Lew but what I intended to say (in laymen terms) was it could be no longer an option for new software in the opening or saving sense.

At some point they will have a better file type to include things the old stuff just can not handle but we never know if a new development could change everything to it's core. So how will fluid forms be handled in step or iges? I just don't know myself and really can't bother for now to worry with it. Just keep moving forward and continue to upgrade as long as possible. Maybe some day we can all get rid of these tapes and get something like static memory to store our files on (or maybe we can just imagine talking on video screens like Star Trek) :mrgreen:

indesign said:
At some point they will have a better file type to include things the old stuff just can not handle but we never know if a new development could change everything to it's core.
This is a particularly hot button issue for me. The entire point of a neutral data format is to make the specific brand of CAD software irrelevant to the overall design & development process! Within reason, the CAD tool you use should be a personal choice rather than a dictated choice -- just as whether you used a swing-arm drafting machine, track drafting machine, or a pair of triangles to create the layouts and drawings of the manual drafting era. As somebody who "invested" a decade of my life to promoting such standards (under the aegis of ANSI and the National Bureau of Standards) is has been a shame filled trial to watch the corporate and national (political) interests derail this worthy goal over and over.

One of the reasons I became an early booster of Alibre was their intelligent use of the ISO-10303 data format as the basis of their work. Yes, I am still "upset" over the failure of ANSI to promote PDES and irate beyond belief over the destruction of the National Bureau of Standards through the creation of the National Institute of Standards Technology to a degree that few understand. The fire currently burning at the natural gas pumping station in SE Washington State (and threatening the NW US and SW Canadian distribution networks) is a direct result of this untenable belief that corporations are better at management than governments are! Americans are currently being misdirected in the attention being paid to the corporate decision that saving $0.59 in the cost of a spring was more important than the safety of drivers & passengers -- a decision that was made in 1999 & reinforced in 2006, but for whom those who made that decision are beyond the reach of legal jurisdiction thanks to our weirder than strange laws!

indesign

Alibre Super User
Lew. I am so with you on that. But if I step into politics here (or on the other end business) I would probably get booted from the forum. But sticking to the point I agree there needs to be better ways that the end user will beneficent or should I say the design and engineering world can grow without stupid controls that hold it down. Just who is right or wrong I will have to hold my tongue and just say..... There is no standard for cross file sharing and/or backwards compatibility that we or any other software has that can currently resolve this issue for us as a whole.