What's new

Saving with duplicate files

ecoology

Saving with duplicate files

I exported a complex assembly to a different drive. I then imported it, intending on saving the file to this new drive. On doing so, I found that I can't save it, it shows "duplicate files", and sure enough, there are two sets of duplicated files.
I do not understand what causes this duplication, most of the files are represented only once, even if I am using multiple parts, but two are duplicated.

How do I correct this, so I can move this assembly, and all of its associated parts, subassemblies to a new drive? I am doing this because I've created so many parts/etc that aren't used that I need to separate used files from unused.

Thank you,
George

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

George,

Do you have the repository? If so, the snapshot of the repository makes it a very clean way to move packets of files. First you would clean up your files into organized repositories, then take snapshots. You can move the snapshot files to a thumbdrive, cd, networked drive, email (if not too big), whatever. Then When you want to you can create a repository from the snapshot. This will cleanly move related packets of files. If you don't have the repository and use the windows file system someone else may have better advice. I really like the repository system.

EDIT: Let me add, depending on your situation, there are multiple best solutions. I really don't like the idea of moving "unused" files to another drive. Hard disc space is cheap. I would think that you could create instead several "archive" repositories or files. The duplication could have been caused by saving assemblies as under new names (the other conversation on one of the other posts). If you want to move your archive data and some of that data uses parts that you are not archiving then you will be creating duplicate parts. Again, why I don't like the idea. If you have mainly discrete assemblies, then my I like my initial suggestion of first organizing the associated files into seperate repositories to take snapshots of ... then safely move them by creating a repository from a shapshot on the other drive (cd, thumbdrive, etc.) and delete them from your main system.

regards,