What's new

Scaling a drawing

dwc

Alibre Super User
For some reason AD is changing the scales in my drawings to a multiple of 0.1. This started yesterday so something must have changed, but I can't find it.
Even old drawings are read in correctly and after about 2 seconds the scale is changed, I can see it happen.
I have reset the user profile to no avail.
I am simply scaling inserted jpg images to be able to trace them correctly. This has always worked up 'til now.
How can I get this to work again as it always has?
HELP!

Don

Alibre Design™ Expert Version: V21 64-bit [Build 21034]

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Don,

Has the computer had any other changes that coincide with this behaviour change?

I'm not aware of any setting option that controls precision/rounding for 2D drawing scale. I do note that for inserted images a 'scale note' is not available. For me the scale dialogue only displays 2 decimal places after re-opening.

I might be tempted to try re-setting User profile again, but this time re-boot computer before re-opening Alibre. I'm not confident that will help, but it's fairly simple to try. You might want to make a copy of the user profile .bkp file before re-setting again (each re-set creates a backup but only latest one is retained - you can re-name files whilst Alibre is closed to go back to previous profile).

If that doesn't work, a re-install may be needed, but I'd be worried that either the issue remains, or that whatever caused it can do so again.

dwc

Alibre Super User
I uninstalled the last Win10 update, deleted the user profile and rebooted.
The behaviour is the same.
What I see, however, is that when I use the design explorer to set the scale it seems to be OK.
The problem is the pop-up "Change Scale" when clicking on the drawing. When that is closed it rounds the scale to 0.1. Using the spinner changes the scale by steps of 0.5 although the spinner is set to use steps of 0.001. Maybe that is another hint for someone.
As it is I can use the scale setting over the design explorer, but need to watch out the the scale pop-up stays closed.
Very strange, I have been using this for years and never seen this behaviour before, I didn't even know that one could set the scale through the design explorer.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Don,

I don't see any spinner increment setting available for scale - only for dimensions (distance and angle). I'm presuming the scale spinner is hard coded at 0.5 steps, though you can manually type in other values.

On my system I get same behaviour for scale dialogue from explorer or from in the drawing work area.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
@dwc Just to clarify - are you talking about this dialog?

Attachments

• working-with-parts-assemblies-reference-geometry-planes-2021-05-07-2.png
    working-with-parts-assemblies-reference-geometry-planes-2021-05-07-2.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 10

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Nate, Don's version pre-dates Tracing Images. That came in with v22. He's inserting image into 2D drawing and scaling it.

The real mystery is how/why the behaviour changed a couple of days ago.

dwc

Alibre Super User
> The real mystery is how/why the behaviour changed a couple of days ago.

You said it. I am now going back and checking all my old work to see if it is correct or has been inadvertently changed by this.
I haven't found a problem yet, so it does appear to be new.
But why?
At least if I don't use that pop-up it appears to be stable so I am not blocked from moving forward.