What's new

Scaling in 2D drawing side??

kev h

Hi

Just imported a customers DXF file which is 1:3 scaled and need to rescale to normal size to use profile for machining.

Am I missing something or is this not possible for some reason?

Cheers Kev 8)

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
I've seen references to the lack of a scaling function for this type of operation in prior posts. Since I have a variety of other cad tools availible, I simply use them.
In some posts, they refer to the use of the ability to scale Alibre Symbols upon importation as an alternative. I've just now muddled through a process using that, perhaps someone will weigh in on how to do it more efficiently

-Import DXF
-Define it as a symbol
-Load a copy of the symbol (in the same drawing or a new one)
-Use the scale functions when loading
-select and explode the symbol.....
-Export as DXF or desired format
-whew...

kev h said:
Just imported a customers DXF file which is 1:3 scaled and need to rescale to normal size to use profile for machining.

Am I missing something or is this not possible for some reason?
Kev -- Are you machining off of the DXF or are you going to create 3D geometry from it? If the former, just about any 2D CAD system that will import DXF will also allow you to scale it as required. If the latter, go ahead and import it "as is" into a DRAWING, edit the "sketch", do a "select all" (<Ctrl>A), a "copy" (<Ctrl>C), and "paste" (<Ctrl>V) it into a (2D) "sketch" in your part model. Close the (part model) "sketch" and create your geometry. Used the "Feature->Scale or Mirror Part" (menu) command to scale the part. You could then, if you wish, make a drawing of this part and export it to DXF (though it is generally easier and faster just to use a true 2D CAD package to scale the DXF).

Does this help?

kev h

Thanks guys for your replies. :D

This was a one off where I didn't have my cad/cam dongle at home and just wanted to work/check the geometry for machining.

This just seemed like such a straight forward thing to be able to do that i thought i must be missing something.... :roll:

No worries , might be in the new 2D revamp this year .. 8) ( any more v2013 teasers Max ?? ;) )

Cheers Kev 8)