What's new

script for creating geodesic parabolic disch

Kunstmaan

Alibre Super User
I am asked to create a drawing for a patabolic disch using geodetic elements.

As I am totaly unfamiliar with these and therefore looking for a script that could create such a parabolic disch

Any suggestions how to tackle this??

Mareike

I am asked to create a drawing for a patabolic disch using geodetic elements.
Mareike -- At the basis, a parabolic dish (in English at least) will be defined by an equation of the form y = ax² + c. The "hard part" is getting definitions for a and c. My best guess is that "geodetic" in your statement is the term I am familiar with as "geodesic" which would mean that the shape (in revolution is approximated by a series of hexagonal and pentagonal panels like unto those making up a "geodesic dome"). That would be my guess.

ajayre

Alibre Super User
If you want a parabolic bowl then start Alibre Script and look on the left under the script library there is one called "Equation Sketcher". Load and run it.

eq-ui.png

Configure for the equation you want and this will draw a parabolic curve.

eq-sketch1.png

Now you can create the rest of the dish profile in the sketch, then do a revolve boss.

eq-bowl.png

Andy

This is a question for Andy - ajayre, or indeed anyone who has done this. I looked at the math that you have shown to figure out Geodesic dome points. I have never used a formula like that. Do you somehow run it in Alibre and then it automatically generates the points? Or did you have to put the points in separately? I have built several conduit domes but always just cut the tubing to the lengths specified on other sites for the diameter that I wanted. It would be great to be able to use Alibre to draw a dome. Sorry Mareike maybe I am hijacking your post!

Wade

Maybe I was too quick to respond! Seems this is what scripting does. I have never used it but maybe I will have to take a look. Sorry for the interruption!

Wade

ajayre

Alibre Super User
I looked at the math that you have shown to figure out Geodesic dome points. I have never used a formula like that. Do you somehow run it in Alibre and then it automatically generates the points?

That's exactly what the script does that I linked to - it performs the calculations and generates the points. That is reference geometry that can then be built upon, e.g. in an asssembly with tubes and connectors.

Andy