What's new

Script that changes the fields of all parts of an assembly? (at once)

Helioc

Hi all,

I'm taking my first steps in Alibre (and 3d drawing).. ;)

Is it possible to make a script that changes the fields of all parts of an assembly? For example, we make a part and then the respective assembly, then we have to place references about the work order and customer name...etc (I know that at the beginning when creating the part, it should already be filled), but as it is common to everyone, it would save a lot of work here. :)

Thanks

Best regards

Attachments

• imagem_2021-09-22_173311.png
    imagem_2021-09-22_173311.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 19

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Lots of things are possible, but think carefully about what you actually want to happen.

Are all field values for all parts inherited from the assembly? What about parts that might be common to more than one assembly??

Others here are much more capable of helping with the programming than I am.

Helioc

Hello David,
There are some fields that are the same in all assembly's, parts, such as designer name, customer name, project number, date, for example. I fill in the rest individually. This is my idea.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Do even parts like nuts & bolts inherit the customer name & project number..? That's the kind of thing I was urging you to think about before diving in to writing a script to do it. Always best to get the definition of requirements correct before doing the programming.

Helioc

Hi David,

The idea would be to run the script, it opens a dialog box, I fill in the properties fields, and it applies to all parts and sub assemblies ;)

Its is possiblie? ;)

Thanks

Attachments

• imagem_2021-09-24_093034.png
    imagem_2021-09-24_093034.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 3

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
That option will do just what it says. I use it mainly for setting the dimension units, etc. So if you generally work in Inches and need to make a series of parts in MM then you'd set the units to MM and check that option so you don't have to set units on all subsequent part files. When you're done with the MM items then change back to Inches.

I borrowed your image to point out that there is usually a Help button on all dialogs that can get you answers faster that waiting on a reply on the forum.

Not to be a smart a$$ but is seems like some simple questions that come up on the forum could be answered by looking in the Help or reading the manual. Just sayin'.

imagem_2021-09-24_100940.png

Helioc

Hi Harold,

I understand what you mean, and I understand your answer. However if I asked for help on the forum it was because I didn't understand or don't understand a certain function. For example if I set a custom property (treatment) with the value (RAL1013), for example, and I click on the box, "Set current setting as the default settings for parts, sheet metal, and assemblies" it doesn't apply this custom property to remaining pieces. Because of that i ask for a script to "Set current setting (value) as the default settings for all parts, sheet metal, and subs assemblies".

And yes, I do a lot of research on Alibre's help, as it is very difficult to find someone to give Alibre training, we have to buy the program and work it out ourselves to extract all the program's potential, especially for those starting out in the 3D world.

Don't get me wrong, I just try to orient myself in my work, counting on your help and support.

Thanks

Cator

Hi Helioc,
I don't know if it is for you but the IDSLK user has developed a script that allows you to use an EXCEL sheet to fill in the property fields. If the latter is prepared correctly, it opens up many possibilities and saves a lot of time! The thread is this scroll it all so you can understand how it works and if you have any doubts I hope I can be of help!
Greetings Francesco.

https://www.alibreforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/property-data.21382/page-3#post-150301