What's new

Scripting Assemblies

So I have products with any number of different configurations and I'd like to autoselect those in the assembly and associate a BOM with it.

I have used this setup where I used to work one of the guys setup Inventor to prompt you with a series of drop down selection boxes and then it generated a assembly model.

Is this something that Alibre can do? I understand I may need to do a bit more learning on the details but I dont want to go chasing something that cannot be done.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Can you give a bit more detail, or an example? I'm not clear exactly what you want to achieve and what varies between versions. Assembly configurations paired with part configurations can be very powerful - may do what you need. If scripting is needed, then wait for Andy Ayre to come along...

I'll do my best.

We had a product with 5 main components, in those main components there was 5 options each.

We ran a small program or script within Inventor that would auto build the assembly based on selections. Basically it auto built the "confgurations" without someone manually setting up every conceivable configuration. I would guess it referenced a Table for what was turned on and off based on the selections.

So you opened the program and it would pop up with a selection box and you had 5 drop downs, you'd select your criteria hit create and it would build the "configuration" and present it to you with all the appropriate things "suppressed or hidden.

Does that make it clearer? to me it does but I know how it worked.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
There must be something more complex than I'm reading in to this. That sounds like model 5 parts, each with 5 configurations. Build 1 assembly. To re-configure assembly, just select the required part configurations in the explorer.

Or is the generation of the part configurations you are looking for...?

i was just making up an example with numbers but it was many more than 5, but its not just 5 items 5 ways. Its a a numerical combination mathematically. Anyways its a lot of combinations.

I'm struggling to explain.

I have a product that can range from 3-48" in 3" increments, it can have 1 of 10 different leadscrews (which is linked to what diameter bearings go in the mating part and dictates which mating block is used), it can have 1 of 5 carrier configurations (also tied to leadscrews), it can have 1 of 5 different knob configurations, then there are accessories that can be added.

You can pretty much build those combinations anyway you want.

I guess I don't know what I want, but I want to avoid make hundreds of configurations and want to either have all the parts in the assembly and use some array or table to control the part level configurations and suppress parts not associated with that top level, based on a selection of top level model numbers.

I basically want what I would call a configurator.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
OK - so the smart bit here would be to automagically select (or at least restrict selection) for certain parts, based on previously chosen items.

So for example a 24" product choice might restrict which of the 10 leadscrews can be used, and so on....?

ajayre

Alibre Super User
So yes, WizoScript should be able to do this. With version 3.50 it can construct assemblies from a pile of parts, then save the assembly.

I am working on a new release that allows for drop-down lists in dialog windows. This means you would be able to build a dialog window with all your choices in, click on a button and out comes the assembly.

Andy

ajayre

Alibre Super User
Here is an example WizoScript-based dialog window, showing drop-down lists to choose parts from a library. Clicking on "Insert Connector" generates an assembly from the parts then inserts it into the user's chosen assembly.

Andy

ws-dialog.png

Andy -- Let me reiterate that your efforts are (A) appreciated and (B) need greater and more thorough recognition by all within our community!
Whereas (and I admit it), I am still trying to come to terms with Python, the powers you have (and are continuing to) unlock are worthy of massive support and recognition. [I also admit to having a pronlem not ending every sentence with an exclamation point.] I suspect that this type od effort will require a system wherein Constraining geometry needs to be collected from within a WizoScript and applied.

Andy -- Let me reiterate that your efforts are (A) appreciated and (B) need greater and more thorough recognition by all within our community!
Whereas (and I admit it), I am still trying to come to terms with Python, the powers you have (and are continuing to) unlock are worthy of massive support and recognition. [I also admit to having a pronlem not ending every sentence with an exclamation point.] I suspect that this type od effort will require a system wherein Constraining geometry needs to be collected from within a WizoScript and applied.

I agree, I will have to look at wizoscript.

Side note whats with the random bold words?

JST

Alibre Super User
The capabilities of wizoscript are very good. I want to use it. My problem is the need to learn yet another language (Python), which is presently a "stopper" for my usage of Wizoscript.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
What you are creating here sounds very much like the configurator we use at work with SolidWorks called Tacton. It does need some initial set up in the models and drawings but it saves hours of work down line when making derived models/drawings.

SolidWorks also has a Configuration Publisher that looks real handy. I've used configurations and design tables, just haven't used the configuration publisher.