What's new

SEARCHABLE REPOSITORY!!! WHEN??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cclark440

Alibre Super User
I don't know about anyone else but this not being able to search the repository is really getting on my nerves!!! :x

The problem seems to be that the save dialog doesn't always open to where I expect it to, and I end up saving to a different location than what I ment. I know I know I could just pay closer attention, but that still doesn't solve the problem of needing to search the rep. :?

mr.ska

Hopefully you can search the repository about the same time you can share repositories without having to be online for everyone to share them. I'm still waiting.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User
Re:

mr.ska said:
Hopefully you can search the repository about the same time you can share repositories without having to be online for everyone to share them. I'm still waiting.

So I'm I...

cclark440

Alibre Super User

Honestly, the repository is great for file control, and organization. I just can't believe that they left out such a simple feature.

gies

I don't know about anyone else but this not being able to search the repository is really getting on my nerves!!!

The problem seems to be that the save dialog doesn't always open to where I expect it to, and I end up saving to a different location than what I ment.

I agree. I think I have parts hiding out with my stray socks somewhere.

Gies

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Even though the ability to search the rep is needed, one workaround could be to use the "constituents" window to locate your missing parts if they are used in an assembly, drawing or BOM :wink:

cclark440

Alibre Super User

While I have used the constituents method a couple of times, the problem that seems to be re-occurring for me is that my file ended up saving to a different location than I thought. I do not know where to start looking.

cclark440

Alibre Super User

Any Alibre Input?

I am not let'n this one die.
This one is at the top of my list. I am beginning to get to many files to have to sift through manually. :?

rbrian

Repository - Binary Part Numbering system

Ever use the windows file system to look into the repository??

I look into: C:\\Documents and Settings\\Administrator\\Application Data\\Alibre Design and see - 4 folders and some log files.
Opening the one labeled rbrian - only shows me three files:
- critical one: LocalRepositories.cfg

Repository - Standard Directory:
C:\\Documents and Settings\\Windows username\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\Alibre Design\\Alibre Design username
Folders (3) - with nice names like: {1ADC1329-6945-480F-9C04-CB7A14F48F40}
Opening that folder - I see another folder 'binaries' - opening that - I get nice file names like this: {205CBDD4-17A7-494E-BF52-F0AD9CD74FFA}

Now - if there was a way to compare those 'nice' names with something that means something - link an index - with date, project, client, version, approval, or what ever each of us needed to sort and search on - then - we would be getting somewhere!

Oh yeah - right!! - That is what your were asking for! :oops: :idea: ... :D

Also - here is where the programs tutorials are:
C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Application Data\\Alibre Design\\Tutorials (Windows 2000)

Mibe

Alibre Super User
Re:

cclark440 said:
Any Alibre Input?

I am not let'n this one die.
This one is at the top of my list. I am beginning to get to many files to have to sift through manually. :?

The API has some support for the Repositories. Unfortunately I'm not positive if it's possible to traverse folders (or similiar). It this will be possible, then the repository functionality will be boosted for sure :)

Anyway - SP1 will be out any day now, so when that day arrives - we will if it's possible to make some search routines to cover the Reps. Hopefully!

cclark440

Alibre Super User

Mibe ....... Don't tease me like that. I have looked into the API a little, but without at least a simple users guide I am not sure how to even start actually writing code.

warburton1

I would like to add my voice for an addition to be able to search the repository.
I am right now going to have to search through over 5000 files in approx 100 directories, to find a model I'm sure I have already created for another project (in the days before I understood the differences between save as and save for assemblies)

ghislain

save nd save for assembly ?????

Hello Gary,

Can you explain on that difference because this is I suppose what I encounter as well. I end up with versions all over different places.

thanks in advance

scarr

Re;Searchable Repositories

I'm not sure if this will help or not, but since all files in your repository reside on your computer hard drive, using the Copernic Desktop Search engine might give you a way to work around this problem - I'll have to admit I haven't tried it yet but I've used it for finding lots of other files - it indexes all the files on your hard drive and then gives you a fairly robust search panel to use to find them. The url for the download is
[/url]http://www.copernic.com/en/products/desktop-search/download.html

scarr

Re: Searchablr Repository

Yes it works, I just tried it but if you want to use it you'll have to add the file types particular to Alibre, i.e. AD_PRT, etc in 'additional file types to search for' under Options>Options>Advanced.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Hi Steve,

I may be getting something wrong, but any type of program that searches the Windows File System wont be able to see Alibre files if they are stored in the repository.

When you use the rep, ALL the files for a particular rep are stored in one folder called "binaries" and have random hexadecimal names. Which of these files are what and in which "repository folder" they are placed is info contained in a data base file (*.adb) stored in the folder just above the "binaries" folder.

You would need to search into the data base (adb) file to learn in which "repository folder" (which are not "Windows folders") is a certain file placed.

This is why the "searching ability" must be programmed into the "Alibre repository explorer".

Sorry if I missunderstood something :)

vortec62

In addition to searching the repository there should also be a "where used" function so you can figure out which assemblies use a particular part. This is important because if you modify a part that is used in many assemblies they could all start having regeneration problems.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User
Re:

vortec62 said:
In addition to searching the repository there should also be a "where used" function so you can figure out which assemblies use a particular part.

Yeap!

I have asked for this one. It would be like the "constituents" function that we actually use to learn which parts does an assy use, but reversed, to learn in which assemblies is a part used... :)

warburton1

Re: save nd save for assembly ?????

ghislain said:
Hello Gary,

Can you explain on that difference because this is I suppose what I encounter as well. I end up with versions all over different places.

thanks in advance

Hi Ghislain,
When using the repository, Save As will save all files currently in the assembly to the directory specified, whereas a Save only saves the modified documents to their originating directory and not the directory of the assembly. This is also true when doing a save of a new assembly, a Save As saves everything to the specified directory, whereas a save will only save the modified documents to the originating directories of the modified parts and the specified directory for the new assembly. :?

Hope this helps.

Regards

Gary

scarr

Re: Searchable Repository

No Gaspar, twas I who erred - I was looking at the file names in the repository view which are just 'familair' name links to the binary files in the repository folders. This looks a lot like the set-up I'm used to in Catia VPM where the files are linked to an Oracle Db. I presume the reasons are the same - maintaining the links between parts, assemblies, etc.
Sorry about the red herring everyone, but aside from the fact you can't use the Copernic Search Engine for repository files, it still makes a handy addition to your windows toolbox. Developing an application to search the repositories may not be as simple a task as many might think.