What's new

section an imported igs part

DHudson

section an imported igs part

is there a way to create a section thur a 3D part that was imported as an IGS 3D part?

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

You create the section just like you do with a native part. Select the plane (you may need to add a plane first) and then Insert Menu--> 3D Section View.

DHudson

Re:

jwknecht said:
You create the section just like you do with a native part. Select the plane (you may need to add a plane first) and then Insert Menu--> 3D Section View.

Thanks - but I have done that with no results. Do you have any other ideas?

moyesboy

Alibre Super User

Once a 3D file is imported into alibre there should be no difference in how it is treated compared to solid that was generated in alibre - except that there is no feature history. The import is one complex feature.
You can still cut bits off, add bits on, create a drawing with a section view etc.

DHudson

section a imported IGES file

The IGES imported solid we had would not let us section it. However, a STEP file (of the same solid part) did. We have run across this kind of thing before. All formats are NOT equal!

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

Did you save the file after you imported it? I am not trying to be smart, just that that is sometimes a simple thing to forget. It is important to save the file after you import it before trying to work on it. I have imported and changed IGES with no problem. Did you do a check part on the import to see if there were errors? I have seen IGES import better than STEP on some parts and STEP import better than IGES on others. I don't know the reasons.

moyesboy

Alibre Super User

If there is truely a restriction that prevents you doing operations on an IGES (or any other) import then you could also try creating a dependent boolien solid in a new Alibre part file. Maybe you can then work on that.
Also you should be able to export it from Alibre as a step (or sat) and import it again to produce a solid you can work on.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

I import all kinds of IGS and STPS and I have certainly bumbed into parts that "work" and parts that don't :?

Define "work or not work"?

:arrow: Sectioning
:arrow: Scketch and extrude (boss or cut) on the part
:arrow: Use features of the imported part to constrain other parts in an assembly (align, mate, etc)
:arrow: Remove faces

What is the cause of imported parts "working" or not ? I don't know.

I've noticed that when an IGS file does not import right (transparent faces), it helps to use the "stand alone faces" option when importing.

A lot of parts work when imported, but in the cases in which they don't and I really need a them to "work", I usually ask for the native and subcontract a "translation to Alibre editable solid". What the guy does is black magic to my eyes.

blaplant1

Dave
Is this a true solid or is it IGES surfaces and edges part? If it is not a 3D solid I don't think you can section it.
Bruce

DHudson

Re:

blaplant1 said:
Dave
Is this a true solid or is it IGES surfaces and edges part? If it is not a 3D solid I don't think you can section it.
Bruce

Bruce - I really don't know - it was imported into Alibre with the import file options set to: stitch to solid". When I had the file resent as a STEP file it allowed me to do the section. I have had problems with IGES before, so it is not a big surprise that it did not work. Since Alibre is based on STEP technology, that may be the best import option to use.

blaplant1

Dave
Check and see if the part has a volume. If you can't get a volume than the part is not a solid.
Bruce
P.S. you know me from the big X

DHudson

Re:

blaplant1 said:
Dave
Check and see if the part has a volume. If you can't get a volume than the part is not a solid.
Bruce
P.S. you know me from the big X

Bruce - of course I know you! I saw you had purchased Alibre some time ago. You are correct about the volume test; when I have some time I will go back and check the IGES file (as of now, I am only interested in the STEP file). I hope all is well.