What's new

Selection thru a part

dammerel

Hi All

Quick question: how do you select a face thru a part without rotating the view around?
Thanks in advance Andrew

JST

Alibre Super User
You do not.

You can see it as transparent, but it still acts solid, so you NEED to either hide that part, or change the view.

kerickson

Hi All

Quick question: how do you select a face thru a part without rotating the view around?
Thanks in advance Andrew

You could expand the part in the design explorer to see the faces. Expand the faces and move your cursor over each face listed. They will highlight on the part. Click on it and it will be selected.

Ken

bigseb

Alibre Super User
You could expand the part in the design explorer to see the faces. Expand the faces and move your cursor over each face listed. They will highlight on the part. Click on it and it will be selected.

Ken
So obvious yet I wouldn't have thought of that. Cheers Ken!

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I think the following should work easier.

Right click on the area it should be.
Click Advanced Selector from the menu.
Choose what you want from the Advanced Selector list.

Alternatively click the middle mouse button while holding ctrl key to bring up Advanced Selector list.

M00m137

Found this thread when I was looking for a quicker route to the Advanced Selector than right clicking. I thought the ctrl+middle button sounded great - but it doesn't quite work how I'd expected. I wanted to use it to select faces when adding constraints, but triggering the Advanced Selector by that method seems to be limited to selecting entire components? Whereas right clicking and picking it from the menu allow selection of faces.

Bug, or feature?

UPDATE not sure where this is documented, but I missed it... when applying constraints, the middle button alone (without ctrl) activates the advanced selector window.

Last edited: