What's new

selection window enhancements... total # of entities selected

JST

Alibre Super User
When there is a selection window for things like "project to sketch" or "section view" in a model, etc, it is reasonably common to have several more items selected than fit on the visible area of the window.

It can be difficult to determine if you have selected everything that you think you have, particularly if the entities being selected are all the same, such as holes for "project to sketch". It ends up as a list of "edges" which all look the same in the list, and you do not see the whole list at one time anyway.

It might be good if there were a running count of the entities selected, so that when you select another, the count increases, verifying that you did actually get all selected. A box showing "XXX entities selected" is all it would take.

Yes, I know that the entities all have numbers, and that a sharp-eyed person might be able to see that the numbers changed (or did not). Yes, that would indicate the success or failure of each selection, if you keep a record in your head of all the entity numbers...... but it is not especially practical.

And, yes, the color changes to indicate that, but frankly it is a slight change of pastel colors. If the colors are changed for that case, they may be undesirable for another, and changing the selection colors on the fly only adds more work on top of what you really are doing.

If you are projecting the locations of 16 holes, (4 holes each of 4 items, for instance) then with a running total of what was selected, it is easy to see that yes, 16 holes were selected.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Maybe not not helpful but what I often do if there are a lot of holes on a face is select the entire face, project it and then remove the few things I don't need.

JST

Alibre Super User
That works sometimes.

What set me off was a piece with a bunch of separate tabs connected to it. Each one was just one hole in the part, but there were a lot of them, all separate pieces, not all part of one piece. Selecting the face is no help for that. The issue was to project the holes in the various tabs onto the part.

Since they were all the same tab part, just different instances, all of the holes were the same ID, all showed up as "edge 7", no difference. You could not even tell if one was added unless you scrolled the list and counted.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I could whip up an Alibre Script this weekend that lets you pick multiple faces and only projects any circle edges found. Let me know if it's something you would use.

JST

Alibre Super User
I have not used ANY scripts so far. Mostly because they are generally not things I need the same exact one of again. And because I don't know the language (Python?)

But thanks anyhow.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
You don't necessarily have to speak Python to use a script just like you don't have to speak C# to use Alibre Design. Scripts can be made to simply run them and a dialog pops up.