What's new

Setting up dual monitors

dkmc

Setting up dual monitors

Got my dual VGA video card installed, 2 LCD's (dell 17" on left and Envision 19" on right) .
Now my questions are, how do I get the tool bars and menu to display on the
left, and just the drawing space filling the right side monitor??
What other options for display are there?

dan k

mrehmus

I don't think you can. None of the toolbars are tear-aways.

Hopefully some day they will be moveable.

k5man

I submitted a Support Incident requesting enhancements for multiple monitors in 2004. No joy so far.

I suggest you also submit a Support Incident. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. 8)

Karl

dkmc

Done!

The dual LCD's really expand viewing options in software that supports it.
Even surfing the net is a better experience....!

dk

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User

I often work on one monitor (left) and display child windows on the right. You can also maximize across both monitors and put more menus on the right.

I have noticed though that Windows does not like the secondary monitor on the left. It keeps reversing them or loosing track of the orientation when suppressing the secondary monitor. I have found that Ultramon software helps tame this problem and provides some nice functionality not included with Windows.

Most of the time I work on one monitor, with reference material on the other monitor. Word Processing notes, pdf reference files on products, and even my timesheet in Excel.

esingleton

I have dual Samsung 17" LCD's on my work machine running on an ATI Raedon X850 card.

I may upgrade to dual 19's next time they are on sale.

I use UtraMon if for no other reason than the "smart taskbar." As far as Windows not liking the secondary monitor on the left, I thought it was the opposite until I realized that I could drag the taskbar anywhere I wanted on either screen. Windows doesn't care.

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User

My wifes computer keep reverting back to the setup with the secondary monitor on the Right at bootup, even though we keep configuring the secondary to the left. Ultramon seems to take care of this problem, if the monitor is on during bootup. Otherwise, it keeps defaulting back to the right side and we have to shift if over again.

I had the same problem with my earlier computer, and almost gave up until I installed Ultramon, which helped fix this problem. I just mention this as others may encounter a similar problem when starting out with multiple monitors.

I like the multiple taskbars provided by Ultramon, and my most used feature is the top bar button to shift a screen between monitors. I also have the Hotkeys setup that a CTRL+ALT+ left/rightarrow key shifts a window left or right to the next monitor, +up arrow to Maximize window, and down arrow to launch screen saver (there is no minimize window). C+A+Scroll Lock locks the mouse to my primary monitor. I use the Scroll Lock as the Scroll Lock by itself locks my cursor to my primary system and prevents it from controlling my secondary system on the monitor to the left. I use the Synergy software to control multiple computers via a single keyboard and mouse. With a real KVM switch on my right monitor, I can use that monitor on a 3rd system, which is handy when I am doing repair work on another system and can keep working while I wait for the install to finish on the 3rd system. I am a fan of the AddLogic PowerReach SonicFlash KVM switch with manual switch button. I have had trouble with the keyboard switched KVM switches not recognizing the commands. Best price is a TomatoChip.com.

The Samsung 204T is still on sale at Egghead and is a great 20" LCD Monitor.

Even my wife has finally given in to using multiple monitors. It is hard to go back after you get comfortable using more than one monitor. Sort of like the transition a user goes through from only using one browser window. Now with tabbed browsing and multiple windows on multiple monitors, I have to have 2 lines for my taskbar to keep track of everything. Oh yea, and did I say that I use Alibre too.

mpobursky

Re:

WoodWorks said:
The Samsung 204T is still on sale at Egghead and is a great 20" LCD Monitor.

You're right, I've been using dual 204T's since early this year and they are great monitors. Man, it's nice to get rid of the CRTs!