What's new

Shaft collar constraint

Jim Brown

In an Atom 3D assembly, how do I constrain a shaft collar to the shaft, so that it rotates with the shaft.

Take a look at the attached .. the collar will not rotate when the shaft is rotated

This assembly is the assembly tutorial, with shaft collars that I added.

Thanks

Attachments

• Universal Joint Assy.AD_ASM
    242.5 KB · Views: 4

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
First things first. In order to upload an assembly you need to create a Package File. With the assembly open go to the File menu, or the File tab, and then to Package>Create. That will put all items of the assembly into a package file that you can then upload and others can download for review with all the parts. Uploading just the assembly file is like mailing a letter but only sending the empty envelope.

Until I can see what you are working with try this for your assembly issue:
Right click on the shaft and shaft collar and from the pop up menu select Show Reference Geometry. That will display each parts default planes. Apply a Coincident constraint between a plane of the collar and a plane of the shaft. Then right click on the parts again and reselect Show Reference Geometry to turn off their display.

Jim Brown

Oopppss.... here's the shaft collar files added.
First things first. In order to upload an assembly you need to create a Package File. With the assembly open go to the File menu, or the File tab, and then to Package>Create. That will put all items of the assembly into a package file that you can then upload and others can download for review with all the parts. Uploading just the assembly file is like mailing a letter but only sending the empty envelope.

Right click on the shaft and shaft collar and from the pop up menu select Show Reference Geometry. That will display each parts default planes. Apply a Coincident constraint between a plane of the collar and a plane of the shaft. Then right click on the parts again and reselect Show Reference Geometry to turn off their display.

Placing the plane restraint worked perfect! Now I know... Thanks!

Attachments

• 1.000 SHAFT COLLAR.AD_ASM
    223.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Universal Joint Assy.AD_ASM
    242.5 KB · Views: 4

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Oopppss.... here's the shaft collar files added.
You added more assembly files. These are no good for sharing. You need to create a package. I realise you got it sorted now but for future reference bear in mind you need to create a package to share assemblies.