What's new

sheet metal, CAM?

tpars22

I just bought into Cam Standard 1.2 for Alibre. Have not yet used it because I'm waiting to update my V9 Alibre to 12 when it releases. I have read the .pdf tutorial
and I'm confused about 1 thing. Can I use the Cam software with an Alibre sheet metal part?

the cam uses sketches to define the contours to be milled, so if you have a sketch, you can create a tool path. the cam browser is not available in assembly.

tpars22

Thanks for the reply. So for sheet metal I'd have to insert an unbend all? Correct? Anyone with experience on this?

clexpert

I have tried next process: create drawing in unbend figure - export to DWG file - import DWG file - activate 2D sketch - select all - copy into clipboard - create new part - activate 2D sketch - paste from clipboard - modify lines - extrude boss - alibre CAM.

Petr Zahradnik

tmostad

I need to do a sheet metal tab cut out and tried to follow the steps described by Petr except I don't have an export to DWG as a choice. I am using V12 if that makes a difference. Has anyone else successfully cut out a tab using AlibreCAM? If so what steps did you use to get from an unbent sheet metal design to AlibreCAM?

Tim

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Check this part and see if it does what your looking for.

The steps I used are:
Create the Aibre Sheetmetal Part.
Add a configuration to the Alibre Sheetmetal Part that has an unbend as the last step.
Save again.
Start a new Alibre Part.
Add a Boolean Unite feature.
Insert the Aibre Sheetmetal Part into the boolean.
Make sure you select the unbent configuration.
Constrain the Aibre Sheetmetal Part like in an Alibre Assembly.
Commit the changes of the Boolean Unite.
Create a sketch on the face of the sheetmetal part.
Project To Sketch all the FACES of the sheetmetal part with association checked.
Select any interior lines that were projected that don't belong and delete them. (Most likely 2 on each side of the bend)
Save.

I don't use Alibre CAM so I can't help with the rest.

Attachments

• CAM -54-IOSEC_UNFOLD.stp
    391.7 KB · Views: 134

clexpert

tmostad said:
I need to do a sheet metal tab cut out and tried to follow the steps described by Petr except I don't have an export to DWG as a choice. I am using V12 if that makes a difference. Has anyone else successfully cut out a tab using AlibreCAM? If so what steps did you use to get from an unbent sheet metal design to AlibreCAM?

Tim,

I have prepared a small tutorial demo. You can see it here:

http://www.clexpert.cz/pomocny/MetalSheetPartCAM.htm